Xantia LED rear bulbs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiagreen
My Cars:

Xantia LED rear bulbs

Post by xantiagreen »

Hi, Has anyone used the LED SMD bulbs on rear lights, if so how many LED's on esch buld do you require to get a good result for each area of the lamps. I have ordered a few from amazon but won't get them till october. If the LED's are not worth it are there any bulbs brighter or more LEDish out there.

Thanks in advance.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
96 Xantia 2lt 16v Sx Olive green
01 Xantia 110 Hdi
Storm Grey (SOLD 4/11/18)

Temporarily driving Polo 1.9sdi

All I want is a Bx Gti or 16v!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Xantia LED rear bulbs

Post by citroenxm »

Bear in mind this: An LED only needs 1.5v to lightup! So putting 12v across one will blow it to smitherienes...

One bulb is 12v, so in theroy remembering when an engine is running you have 14v average you need about 10 LEDs to replace ONE bulb, or a bit of an electronic board to regulate the voltage to light them and not blow them..

This is why when you see a Factory LED Brake light theres a whole group of LEDs fitted in series to share the voltage.

Im not an electronics buff, but have small knowledge about LEDs voltage etc..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

Ahhhh! Get were your coming from xm, lucky I've ordered 18 led amber bulb x 2 and two (i hope they do both) brake and tail light with i think 40 led's from amazon pretty cheap so i know they'll pop sometime round christmas or earlier. On the other hand Euro car parks are selling a Lucas 382 single filament bulb in RED 12v 21w/5w for £14.10, lost the plot.
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

As above you usually need some voltage reduction method. In rangies that get rear upgrades they used a large resistor, 15f rings a bell with a heat dissipation fitted as they get quite warm!

It's a good idea as an led will last longer but it needs some electrical maths to work out what resistor you need for each one :)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've got them as reverse lights, number plates and side lights.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have a pair of LED sidelights.
If you get dedicated 'bulbs' rather than raw LEDs then they have the requisite circuitry to compensate for the different voltage and current requirements.

As with these stop & tail lights for three quid.
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Hi welcome to the LED world! ive changed all mine to led's the only ones that cause problems are indicators as the flasher motor needs to see xyz load to work but you can get round that by a ballast resistor thing(they are out there already made)
Flea bay is the place for them but there are a few decent places to buy direct over here but most over priced and most come from same places your getting on flea bay then price ramped.
Im just looking at some 7watt leds for side lights.there are some red led stop n tail bulbs which look very red as most leds that are bright can make red plastic look pale when viewed from outside.
smd's (chips) the 5050 type are the biggest chips great for internal lights come with adaptor to fit W501 bulb holder in process of modding some to join together to sit on the cover that goes over sunroof mechs also in back of roof lining so have more light in rear(estate)
If you buy the the unit ie like bulb you don't have to worry about volts as already sorted out and just fit them.
You can get H1 leds plus other for H'lights/fog lights etc

If you need any info/help just ask and i will send you some links etc
Also some are using cree's now which are an led chip which norm measure watts unlike led capsules which go by milliwatts the only problem going to higher watts is heat which will destroy leds pretty quick ive a five watt led headlight for fishing etc and that has a big heatsink onit there have got better with revisions to led manufacture.
Most new cars and trucks are led lit inc headlights even houses are moving that way as dumping those energy saving s**t bulbs they fobbed off onto us while back as can't get rid of them as have mercury inside them.
xantiagreen
My Cars:

Post by xantiagreen »

oscar wrote:Hi welcome to the LED world! ive changed all mine to led's the only ones that cause problems are indicators as the flasher motor needs to see xyz load to work but you can get round that by a ballast resistor thing(they are out there already made)
Flea bay is the place for them but there are a few decent places to buy direct over here but most over priced and most come from same places your getting on flea bay then price ramped.
Im just looking at some 7watt leds for side lights.there are some red led stop n tail bulbs which look very red as most leds that are bright can make red plastic look pale when viewed from outside.
smd's (chips) the 5050 type are the biggest chips great for internal lights come with adaptor to fit W501 bulb holder in process of modding some to join together to sit on the cover that goes over sunroof mechs also in back of roof lining so have more light in rear(estate)
If you buy the the unit ie like bulb you don't have to worry about volts as already sorted out and just fit them.
You can get H1 leds plus other for H'lights/fog lights etc

If you need any info/help just ask and i will send you some links etc
Also some are using cree's now which are an led chip which norm measure watts unlike led capsules which go by milliwatts the only problem going to higher watts is heat which will destroy leds pretty quick ive a five watt led headlight for fishing etc and that has a big heatsink onit there have got better with revisions to led manufacture.
Most new cars and trucks are led lit inc headlights even houses are moving that way as dumping those energy saving (-expletive removed-) bulbs they fobbed off onto us while back as can't get rid of them as have mercury inside them.
I've just received all the smd/led bulbs almost, going to test them today and see what they look like will try and post or send link via youtube
Faz

90 Ax 1.0 Red
90 Bx 1.7 TZD Green
92 Bx Gti BRG
90 Bx 16v Cream
01 Xantia 110 Hdi