How big is yours!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

How big is yours!

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I filled up my Xantia estate a couple of days ago and for some reason I managed to get 69.71 litres into the supposedly 65 litre tank.
No there wasn't a large expensive puddle on the floor and the fuel light had only been on for 30 miles at most.
It would appear that Citroen does not know the size of their own designs[}:)]
Out of interest, has anyone managed more?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I recommand you keep a track on WHERE you fill up your car - and also the mileage the car returns. It's known that gas pumps fails at times - allthough it's illegal - it takes a couple of customers to report back the problem before it can be corrected.
benji27
My Cars:

Post by benji27 »

I managed to get 84 litres into my XM, the light has been on for a while, but still, it wanst empty, good point aobut the faulty pumps though...
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I regularly get over 90 liters in the tank of my '93 XM TD12. According to the instruction book it should hold 85 liters. I've had the car since new and it's always been the same. So you're right, Citroën underestimate the size of their fuel tanks!
//NiSk
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

....and the quoted tank size doesn't include the filler neck, which with careful filling as most of us do will easily take a few litres.
Adrian
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

I managed to get 69.71 litres into the supposedly 65 litre tank.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mine holds 65 litre. If I managed more I would suspect that the pump was giving incorrect delivery. Its a few years since I had a BX, but didn't the TZD have a little supplimentary tank between the filler and the main tank.
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

The other day my petrol nearly run out. The car only made it to the petril station because it's down the hill. I put 25 litres in. Two days and 50 miles after I put in another 52 litres. Which I could not believe as it meant the car had used up 12litres of petrol for 50 miles. I can only think that the actual tank volume is well over the 65 litres it should be.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

I don't think car manufacturers are allowed to include the capacity of the filler tube when they quote their tank sizes. So you can always add a couple of litres if you're going to brim it.
I've only ever managed 66.5 litres in my 65 litre Xantia tank. Either I'm a chicken on the dry run (and who wants tank-bottom gunk in their filters anyway?), or else I'm buying my petrol at an honest filling station.