Intermittent Fault: Cylinder Reference Sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

Intermittent Fault: Cylinder Reference Sensor

Post by Chlorate »

My intermittent turbo struck at the Dartford Crossing last night after months of good behavior :roll:

When clearing off the faults this morning to make quiet the orange light of pain a couple of other unexpected faults popped up:

Intermittent fault throttle position sensor - seems one is starting to lag behind the other, I actually noticed this a while ago when poking around on Lexia but since it's now apparently getting upset about it I should probably have a think about replacing that one.

Intermittent fault: cylinder reference sensor - I should imagine they're referring to what I'd call the cam phase sensor with this one, had a poke around under the bonnet and I think I've located it - behind the oil filler cap next to the timing case. It was covered in oil (probably due to being a bit sloppy when I serviced her not long ago) so I gave it a good spray of brake cleaner and a shot of contact cleaner up its guts and hopefully that will be the end of it. At least it looks simple to replace if it isn't.

I don't think either of these faults are going to cause me much trouble...the light only popped up again when the wire to the turbo electrovalve went funny again.
However I have a feeling these may have something to do with some odd idling it occasionally does.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: Intermittent Fault: Cylinder Reference Sensor

Post by citroenxm »

Cylinder Reference sensor is the CRANK SENSOR - this is located on the top of the gearbox bell housing, under the thermostat housing - up against the cylinder block.. buired a bit..

Im sure that it is anyway...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Nope, the cylinder reference sensor is the CAM sensor, the crank sensor can't tell what cylinder is firing, only that 1 & 4 are at TDC. The cam sensor is used for initial cylinder reference on start up, it then uses the crank sensor for running. The cam sensor then has no input to the running of the engine whatsoever but if it is faulty or disconnected the engine won't start back up if its switched off.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Excellent wheeler cheers.. i wasn't actually sure.. but that confirms it.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto