Xantia hdi estate front suspension arm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Xantia hdi estate front suspension arm

Post by Taffyrhys »

Hi all my xantia estate hdi has just failed its mot on both front suspension arm rubber bush deteriated and a split drive shaft gaiter. Not bad for a car with 205k on th clock

I was wondering if any body knows of the cheapest place to buy the lower suspension arm , as it looks a lot easier than replacing the bush??????????????

I also brought a new drive shaft kit that can be stretched on with a cone, any tips on how best to do this???????????????

Any help appreicated but off to the pub to drown my sorrows tonight :-D :-D :-D

Cheers

Ade
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Xantia hdi estate front suspension arm

Post by Stewart(oily) »

The outer joints should come off the shaft, they are only held on with a snap ring, no need to stretch the boot over the lot.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
cc101

Post by cc101 »

Or you could acquire a traffic cone and cut the end off, place the cone over the end of the drive shaft and stretch the boot over the cone. Use plenty of lube on the cone to stretch the boot!

Chris.
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

It sounds not to bad, how do i get the drive shaft off? do i just pull the hub outwards once i removed the drive shaft nut?

cheers
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

I've used one of those drive shaft cones. It was a nightmare, probably easier to just remove the end of the shaft. It should tap off with a good whack of a hammer on the rear of it, knocking it towards you.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i do prefer to split the CV joint from the shaft, strip the joint clean it and re/assemble,
especially if the old gaiter is split wide open as the joint will be full of grit and dirt,

but on the rare occasion i use the stretchy boots and cone, turn the new boot inside out,smear grease all over the cone, then with the cone over the CV joint place the larger end of the boot over the cone and slide it down the cone,

once the boot is on the shaft turn it back in the right way and secure it with Ligerex strapping not cable ties,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

Thankyou for the information about fitting the gaiter, a lot more confident now. How easy is it to remove the hub from the drive shaft ? will it just pull out or do i need to drift it out.

What size is the drive shaft nut?

For ease and quickness now the nights are drawing in so i can fit them after work and to get the car MOT retested. I've ordered new suspension arms for £67 a piece delivered from GSF. Should be ok to fit.

Cheers

Ade
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Big hub nut is 35mm, once the balljoint and the droplink is disconnected the strut should swing out enough to let you push the shaft out of the hub, you will need to lift both sides of the car at the same time to get the antrollbar out of the way enough to fit the wishbones, allow time to do both sides in one go or you will be dismantling loads of it twice.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

Thank you for the infomation.

Just come in from the drive as I thought I would check that I could loosen all the bolts on the car (tighten back up) so there are no nasty suprises,all went well. :-D :-D

I have the new wishbones on order and they should arrive Wednesday , also arriving is the 35mm hub socket, the ball joint splitter (bolt action), new flexi CV gaiter and cone.

Do i need to have the car on low setting for the suspension before i jack up both sides?

Touch wood all goes well and the old girl will live on for another year. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Cheers All
Stewart(oily)

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Easier tapping the joint off than struggling with those cones :wink:
jack up both sides and disconnect the drop links, you might want to have the suspension movable whilst working, it can help.
Have something handy to catch the gear oil (75w80) when the left driveshaft accidentally pulls out :)
I use the suspension on high setting when lowering the car or it tends to follow the jack down then sit on it :)
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D Just come in from a tough day on the Drive. I have to say it was tough going doing the front wish bones.

All was going well with the old wish bones falling out as the bushes were totally shot. However installing the new ones were a different story as the anti roll bar is in the way, even when all the drop links are removed there isn't much room to play with but with the trolly jack under the end of the anti roll bar and some jiggery pockery got them in place. The next phase was getting the bolts through the holes and I have to say i was glad my brother came around as the extra hands were needed.

Stopped here for a large cup of tea and a deserved fag break.

This was my first time of fitting a gaiter with a cone and have to say the kit i got from ebay was a bargain at £6 and came with a solid plastic cone, lube, cv grease, clips and gaiter.

The gaiter slipped on lovely but was very slippery to turn inside out again but was a pretty quick job after fitting the steel clips. Seperating the tie rod was the hardest part of this job as the nut kept turning on the thread, a good old g clamp solved the problem.

Its funny as I've had the car for 18 months and in the last 6 months, i've replaced a front caliper, brake pads all round, replace a sheared bolt on the rear caliper,split turbo hose but the old girl does need some extra TLC with 206k on the clock.

Cheers for all the advice but it time to crack open a bottle of beer :) :) :) :) :)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Bottle, crate, or keg?!?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Sorry to spoil your day: it's essential that the suspension arm be correctly aligned when you tighten the bolts through the bushes.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

I believe they went back to the correct alignment as i fitted the new wishbone complete with bushes, so was a straight swap of the old unit. But this is to get it through the mot as i don't believe she will last for ever.

The teenage kids are always moaning to get a newer car so i am planning to bite the bullet within the year :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Enjoy the September sunshine :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Taffyrhys
My Cars:

Post by Taffyrhys »

The car passed its MOT so another years motoring.

The funny part is the Airbag light has come on. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D