cats, approved and non approved

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john
My Cars:

cats, approved and non approved

Post by john »

what's the difference between an approved and "non approved" cat besides the price?

example, the O.E.M part number for my berlingo is 1731L8 and a search on ebay had this 1

http://tinyurl.com/oxa3wul" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for £71.25, but im not allowed that as its not approved.

http://tinyurl.com/q8rrxu2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for £93.39and approved.

both these cats are suitable for my car but i can only buy the expensive 1, so whats the difference?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think it's a bit like kosher food, the more expensive one has certified levels of quality (effectiveness and materials).
john
My Cars:

Re: cats, approved and non approved

Post by john »

but is it stamped on it? ie how would a mot garage know that i had the proper/incorrect type?
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

john wrote:but is it stamped on it? ie how would a mot garage know that i had the proper/incorrect type?
i think apart from the quality if it passes the emissions test it might do you for a year up to the next MOT if your lucky,

i notice both the cats you link to are the same seller
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

citronut wrote:i notice both the cats you link to are the same seller
just coincidence, im sure if i was to order the more expensive 1 thats the 1 they'd send :shock:
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

From what I've read an "approved" cat meets recently introduced EU regulations for minimum levels of performance and longevity.

Prior to this anyone could sell a catalytic converter on the pattern parts market without any guarantees of what was in them, how well they would pass an emissions test and how long they would last!

Therefore many pattern part cats were shoddy quality with a bare minimum of catalytic metals in them that would struggle to pass the test a year later let alone last 10-15 years like an original factory fit cat!

So from what I can see an "approved" cat should meet certain minimum standards of acceptable performance. An unapproved cat you get what you get and if it fails the next MOT tough luck!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

For an extra £22 on something that costs £70 I know which option I'd go with!
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I believe from a chat a while back with my local dealer type approved exhausts are stamped or marked as such, non approved units regardless of whether they do the job are an instant fail on post 2001 cars, the specifics like age i cant remember but this is supposed to be what happens.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
john
My Cars:

Post by john »

Deanxm wrote:non approved units regardless of whether they do the job are an instant fail on post 2001 cars,

D
there is no mention of needing an approved type cat in the mot testers manual though only that

"3.On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter."
Citroen Xsara Picasso
Subaru Impreza WRX
Nissan Primastar
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Interesting, its just what my mot test station told me, he said because my car was so old it didnt need type approved parts (BS/EN) and it only meant the quality of the parts were garranteed to meet a set standard, also that post 20XX reg cars would fail without type approved systems due to the fact it was common knowledge they dont perform well enough to meet the emmission standards specified by the manufacturer on new vehicles, he also said all HID kits must now be in purpose designed lamps with a self leveling system and headlamp washers to pass. It all seemed to make sense but i guess there must be some hearsay going on.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............