C5 internal and external temp sentemp issors - where?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

C5 internal and external temp sentemp issors - where?

Post by Northern_Mike »

The temperature controls for the dual-zone climate have little effect in the C5. They blow "cold" if the temp is set to anything under 28c and will only blow warm air out if set to 28.

I guess the cabin temperature sender is duff, and the fact that the external temperature is being reported way high - 46c today when it was 13c - isn't helping.

So where are they, how much do they cost and how do I replace them?

thanks!

Mike
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: C5 internal and external temp sentemp issors - where?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Take a look on the underside of the driver wing mirror. There should be a small dome. That is the sensor 'head'.

If your Berlingo has external temp sensing it will also have that dome. A colleague has a Peugeot Partner van, and it has that sensor. Changing the sensor depends on how easy it is to dismount the mirror (not the moulding, but the mirror itself). Once that is off, the sensor should just twist out, and unplug from the wiring in the mirror housing. I know that it is your C5 that has the problem, and I hope that the mirror/sensor configuration is the same.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As above, its at the bottom of the n/s mirror, if you gently prise out the glass you can see the sensor, you will have to cut the wires and solder the new ones to them - unless you want to remove the door panel. Failure of the external sensor will affect the way the climate control works, if it thinks its 40C+ outside it will be desperately trying to cool the car down until you put it on max temp and override it.

Peter
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Thanks for your help James and Peter.
Couple of questions for Peter - What's the best way of getting at the sensor, and where is the best place to get one from?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

You can gently prise out the mirror glass, if you get something as wide and flat as you can each side and lever it should come out fairly easily, you will see the sensor projecting through a hole in the bottom.

You can get the sensor from Citroen but they are not cheap, my last one cost £30+, I think someone else does do them cheaper but I can't remember who, do a search on the net. They use the same sensor in most Citroens and Peugeots, A secondhand one is a possibility but it needs to be from a latish car as they have a limited life.

Peter

I just found this, wish I had when I needed one :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NTS-CITROEN-C ... 232b1ab1f3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Just fitted one of those to my C5 as I had the same problem. If you release the wire clips in the bottom left hand corner of the mirror it pops out quite easily. You will probably have to do a bit more dismantling to release enough wire so that you can solder on the new sensor.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Mike, while I was dropping by the drain tank this evening I had a quick dekko at the mirrors (I hope you don't mind). On your C5 the sensor is on the nearside mirror.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

They are in the n/s mirror.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Brilliant, thanks for all your help guys.

James - thanks - I was fast asleep in the chair. This odd shift work is really making me tired!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Peter.N. wrote:You can gently prise out the mirror glass, if you get something as wide and flat as you can each side and lever it should come out fairly easily, you will see the sensor projecting through a hole in the bottom.

You can get the sensor from Citroen but they are not cheap, my last one cost £30+, I think someone else does do them cheaper but I can't remember who, do a search on the net. They use the same sensor in most Citroëns and Peugeots, A secondhand one is a possibility but it needs to be from a latish car as they have a limited life.

Peter

I just found this, wish I had when I needed one :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NTS-CITROEN-C ... 232b1ab1f3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brilliant, nice one Peter. I have ordered one..