Steering rack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

garrydog
My Cars:

Steering rack

Post by garrydog »

Hi
I have a leak in my steering rack the leak is where the steering column meets the rack.I have been quoted £465 for the replacement ,can it be done any cheaper? I live in Lancashire.
The leak is not under pressure anyone know of thata method of sealing the leak , I have tried a leak stopper but it did not work. Citoen C5 2004 2.0 HDI 53,000 miles.
2004 C5 VTR 2.0L HDI hatchback.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The top seal is probably sold separately if you hunt around. Sure it's not an undertightened union or a failing return hose?
garrydog
My Cars:

Re: Steering rack

Post by garrydog »

Thanks for the reply,I have done both of the unions below the leak
They are OK it's definitely leaking from the top seal . can it be repaired with the steering rack in position?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

With due care you can remove the pinion valve alone for rebuild. Clean meticulously around the area first.

http://steeringseals.com/kits/citroen-s ... -kits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a kit that probably suits
http://www.pstservice.sk/en/maintkit/citroen/c5/1219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
garrydog
My Cars:

Re: Steering rack

Post by garrydog »

Thanks Addo
I have never dismantled a steering rack before , can you tell me will the pinion valve will just lift out when the studs are unscrewed ?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You need to get the steering shaft well out your way first, even before you're done cleaning. Work inside the cab and from the wheelarch to release it and tie to one side. Once done cleaning, remove the hydraulic pipes and plug their threaded bores - you may find it easier to remove some completely. Then undo the pair of pinion fixing bolts and paint mark the pinion shaft orientation so you may reinstate it later. Carefully wiggle/pull the pinion valve assembly free of the rack housing and it's out.

Refitting takes some persuasion, don't hit it but grease the teeth well and keep trying. Sometimes you might have a bit extra luck when pulling the rack end away from the pinion just a hair. Don't overdo it.