Head Bolts

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Head Bolts

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Is my Sealey AK730* Breaker Bar up to the job of removing head bolts; or am I likely just gonna break my brand new (and expensive to someone of my means) tool if I try?

And are they T55? this, the largest size in my Torx set seems just a little loose but I don't have a T60 to see if that'll fit.

Engine in question is a XUD 1.9 TD in situ in a a scrap 405 on which I have the opportunity to practice the one and only job I've ever failed at, a couple of years ago; it's therefore niggled me ever since (I just couldn't get the head bolts to move). It'd obviously also be good to know I can get the head off of my 1.9 XUD normally aspirated 405 should it be required in the future.

And PS: I'm thinking that having got the head bolts out that I'll need to 'persuade' it off?

Thanks everso for your help on this and previous posts, people :-D

*http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... uctid=5821
Puxa
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Head Bolts

Post by spider »

I just used an old torque wrench to undo them. Its not used as a torque wrench as it was not accurate but made a good 'large extension' to undo or tighten things where torque accuracy was not needed ie think of it as a breaker bar.

I think 55 yes. A decent bit will be needed, a cheap one will just snap. Early engines had either hex or even earlier standard headed bolts.

They are not usually *that* difficult to undo. I'm only little and I manage. :)

Coat the new bolts with something, molycote or suchlike as you do not want them to snap if they come out a future point although this "feature" might be for petrol XU's only not sure. Its very unpleasant to have them corrode and snap in the block.

No the head is unlikely to be too stuck, bear in mind there's only one dowel. Save an old head bolt to assist with refitting like this > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =2&t=44283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: Head Bolts

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Thanks Spider, much appreciated
Puxa