C5 - Loss of power & brake warning light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kettlesimon

C5 - Loss of power & brake warning light

Post by kettlesimon »

Hi,

Just got a couple of problems happening with my 2004 2.0 HDi (110).

1. Loss of power when accelerating. I can coax the car gently and eventually it will reach a cruising speed, but car has no acceleration if i put my foot down hard (in fact it starts to slow down). I am sure i have seen this on the forum before, but cant find the thread. Is it the MAF sensor ?

2. Driving home one night recently, it was getting dark so i turned the side-lights on. The car then seemed to loose power (or brakes applied). After a couple of seconds this slowing down ceased and the car accelerated normally, however the STOP and red brake warning light came on. I have checked the brake fluid (fine) and the brakes seem to be working fine. This fault only now occurs when i put on the lights. Bad connection ?

I also have the usual anti pollution warning on continuously, but have got used to this now as it has been on for most of the time i have driven the car (18 months & 35000 miles), without any other side effects.

Help to point me in the right direction please.

Cheers

Simon Johnston
2004 C5 Estate 2.0 HDi
dnsey

Re: C5 - Loss of power & brake warning light

Post by dnsey »

If the anti-pollution light's been on that long, there's a good chance that the DPF is blocked.
kettlesimon

Post by kettlesimon »

No DPF on this model i think
2004 C5 Estate 2.0 HDi
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

So why's the anti-pollution warning on? Does a blocked EGR cause this warning.
Either way, it's probably not the best idea to ignore it.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Two possibilities to look at before lashing out any cash.

A very close inspection of the thin rubber vacuum pipes between the vac pump, the electro valves, the turbo actuator and the EGR valve, a tiny split in any of these will lose the vacuum and stop the turbo working.

A close look inside the MAF to see if one of the filaments has broken/dropped off, don't touch them or they will drop off, very delicate
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

1. Sounds like the MAF - a Lexia session will reveal how it's responding.

2. I'd check that you haven't got a twin filament bulb in the wrong way round - if the brakes are on, and you're trying to accelerate, it confuses the ECU - so if the side lights are putting the brake lights on too then this will cause that. Again, Lexia will point you in the direction.
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Possibly an EGR clean would help, you can get a can of cleaner off ebay, you spray it into the air intake as per instructions, if it doesn't effect a cure it will certainly clean out the EGR valve and inlet manifold. There is no DPF on the 8 valve 2.0. Hdi.

Peter