expert van problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

expert van problem

Post by daviemck2006 »

My van blew an intercooler pipe last week, just got a new pipe and fitted it earlier. I also changed engine oil and filters at same time. I cocked up with oil and over filled it, van was on ramps whilst I put oil in, put in whole 5 litres, it was just over the max mark. Took it for a little run, its pulling like a train but smelly. When I cane home there is oil blown out through front bumper, right down at the bottom grill in front of the intercooler radiator. In checking hoses, everything seems ok, and no leaks visible. When on the level oil is quite a bit above max on the dipstick. intending taking some oil out in the morning. Could this be due to too much oil in? Could I have blown a hole in intercooler radiator? Cant really see it without removing front bumper? I hope I haven't knackered something completely. It's a 2.0 HDI. Does anyone know how much oil is supposed to be in them? Any help greatly appreciated.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: expert van problem

Post by Lighty »

According to Comma oil site it should hold 5 litres, (just checked to be correct). http://www.commaoil.com/products/results/92048219" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe something has just blown, I guess you better set the level correctly before you proceed , using the dipstick, or drain it all out and measure
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i did a service on an 06 2.0 HDI F*i*a*t scud o last week and my local GSF saud it should take 4.5lt's of oil,
even looking in the owners manual this also states 4.5lt's,
after putting this in and running the engine to fill the filter the level was well below the max mark,
i had to put in another 0.5 of a liter to bring it to the max mark,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It seems to vary as far as I remember. I tend to put 4.5 in, run it for a moment then stop it and check it a few minutes later.

I seem to recall someone saying this engine takes longer to get a sensible reading compared to the XUD although I never really saw how. Certainly wait a good couple of minutes.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

spider wrote: I seem to recall someone saying this engine takes longer to get a sensible reading compared to the XUD although I never really saw how. Certainly wait a good couple of minutes.

maybe because the XUD the oil goes straight into the sump and the HDI's it goes all through the head and the rest of the block on filling
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
spider

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:maybe because the XUD the oil goes straight into the sump and the HDI's it goes all through the head and the rest of the block on filling
A case of inverse progress :-k

Then again I seem to remember the very very early XUD's had the filler cap on the cam cover instead of the front mounted combi "filler / dipstick" affair.

I guess its come full circle and we're back with the filler on the head. :)
Andy.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Well I took out 1/2 litre of oil, got very dirty putti g sump plug back in while oil running out. No hot oil smell whe driving and now just what I think is residual oil on bumper. The dipstick is bang on max now. There must have been too much pressure and blowi g out somewhere. I dont really have much idea. I can only moitor it and see what happens. Thete may be something else away to blow
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

Yep - my old (C15) XUD had the filler on the cam cover. I prefer this because the dipstick actually measures what's in the sump without you having to wait ages for the dipstick channel to clear of oil in order to get a reading.

Re oil volume - does it depend whether aricon is fitted or not as that changes sump from pressed steel to ali (at least on some vehicles)?

I've always wondered what goes wrong if you put too much oil in, and have tried very hard not to. Interesting to hear.
Wookey
(2003-now:1997 Peugeot Expert stealth camper, 1991-2003:1987 C15)
spider

Post by spider »

I think the capacity is slightly different with an alloy vs steel sump but that would mean the dipstick would be different too (see I avoided saying "dipstick length" oh damn I did :oops: ) but as far as I'm aware they are not, they only vary depending on where they initially fit and the filler type.

Too much oil can end up in the breathers to excess and from there into the intake. With this it can then suck some oil in and start to run on it resulting in a "run away" situation which is not too pleasant as its running on oil not fuel so turning it off won't help. Sometimes stalling it may work assuming nothing breaks in the process, the only other way really is to shut the air off (difficult) but it will stop when it runs out of oil ( :( )
Andy.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

spider wrote: Too much oil can end up in the breathers to excess and from there into the intake. With this it can then suck some oil in and start to run on it resulting in a "run away" situation which is not too pleasant as its running on oil not fuel so turning it off won't help. Sometimes stalling it may work assuming nothing breaks in the process, the only other way really is to shut the air off (difficult) but it will stop when it runs out of oil ( :( )
Like this:

spider

Post by spider »

Did you hear the way it got louder and louder then started to slow down as the bearing shells were being turned into something resembling vinyl records ? :D

At least it will stop when it runs out of oil.
Andy.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

It's just as well I only did less than a mile then! Could have blown my engine. It's the best bit of the van. Only done 85k and goes like a train and doesn't use oil!!!!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2