C4 1.6SX Automatic Gearbox Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Marko P

C4 1.6SX Automatic Gearbox Problem

Post by Marko P »

I am new to the forum so i,m hoping someone can help.
My car has started to go into 'limp mode' ie it jumps from 4th gear into 3rd when driving along. if i stop & turn the engine off, then re-start the car, the fault clears. This has now happened about 6 times in the last 8 weeks. I had a diagnostic's done on the vehicle after 3 weeks which showed up no faults but today it happened again so i took it straight to a local garage who repeated the diagnostic's, this time it reported 2 faults.
Auto Gearbox - Pressure regulation difference setting - permanent fault.
Engine ECU - Fault Speed Limiter (LVV) & Cruise Control (RVV2) Coherence - Intermittent.
Does this mean i need a new engine or could there be a simple fix for these issues?
Any information/solutions would be appreciated as i have spoken with my local Citroen garage and they have never known of these symptoms.
vibes
My Cars:

Re: C4 1.6SX Automatic Gearbox Problem

Post by vibes »

If the gearbox is the same as with two litre engine I'd say magnetic valves need attention.
In Finland we have this thing called Reilu Meininki

2005 C5 V6 Exclusive A Break
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Marko P wrote:i have spoken with my local Citroen garage and they have never known of these symptoms.
If your citroen garage are saying that then either the have only been in business for a few weeks or they are lying.
This is probably the most common complaint on the AL4 autobox. Usually caused by faulty pressure regulation electrovalves.
Jim Cummins

Post by Jim Cummins »

Hi, I have recently purchased a '06 C4 with exactly the same problem, can you tell me if it has been sorted please.
Jim Cummins

Post by Jim Cummins »

Had forgotten about this, I got it sorted shortly afterwards. The valve chest in the box had to be replaced which cost €800.00 Its a common problem apparently and this is the only solution. Everything fine ever since.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Did that sort out the Engine ECU - Fault Speed Limiter (LVV) & Cruise Control (RVV2) Coherence - Intermittent. problem as well? I was going to suggest (until I saw the date stamp!) that this might have been something as simple as trying to set the cruise control to a higher speed than already set in the limiter.

On a related note, what a useless piece of software the speed limiter is. On any car I've had anything to do with that's got that fitted I've wound it up to about 150mph so it just stays out of the way.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​