Citroen Warranty - Another Reason....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

frenchcarnut

Citroen Warranty - Another Reason....

Post by frenchcarnut »

. . . to buy second-hand?

Must say I feel really sorry for this (then in 2011) 82-year-old lifetime loyal Citroen owner if true:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/f ... -worthless" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit:

Kenneth Luty was "awarded more than £5,000" http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/m ... ation-case" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good for him
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Citroen Warranty - Another Reason....

Post by Stewart(oily) »

You would think an oil change caused physical pain these days, they seem so reluctant to do them, very shabby treatment if its true.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Stewart(oily) wrote:You would think an oil change caused physical pain these days, they seem so reluctant to do them, very shabby treatment if its true.
Well it seems you have to be Mr Perfect to not invalidate a "warranty". Shocking.

I had similar issues regarding a recall over my old Xantia's cambelt tensioners some years back. Citroen called me in twice, the latter by mistake (even though I questioned this with the dealer who said I needed to bring it in for a second time), but wouldn't refund my costs (self employed so lost out financially).

The SMMT and RMI arbitration services are worth knowing about!
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Stewart(oily) wrote:You would think an oil change caused physical pain these days, they seem so reluctant to do them, very shabby treatment if its true.
Reading both articles, it appears there was a design fault with the "turbo charger" that caused the "engine seizure" and the lack of oil change was simply used as a convenient get out. I'd say both the garage and manufacturer were to blame. But you're right: what cost was an oil change?
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

With my Laguna II I was very lax with the servicing, going quite a bit over the 20,000 mile service interval. The turbo blew but as they were prone to that anyway Renault replaced it under warranty and got me a rental Clio at a very favourable rate for the two weeks it took for the work to be done (I guess they had a shortage of turbos!)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Xac wrote:With my Laguna II I was very lax with the servicing, going quite a bit over the 20,000 mile service interval. The turbo blew but as they were prone to that anyway Renault replaced it under warranty and got me a rental Clio at a very favourable rate for the two weeks it took for the work to be done (I guess they had a shortage of turbos!)
An example of a company that will go the extra mile - that's great.

The reason I bring this up, is that I've got an issue with a certain car supermarket and their servicing records, and hence warranty validity. If the car didn't come with the appropriate servicing and on schedule, and we were sold the car on the back of this (they promised these details would come soon), then we've potentially been mis-sold a car that should have had three years of warranty remaining on it.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

I used to work for audi 15 years ago. Their warranty procedure was excellent, everything was covered - even bulbs, and if you went out of warranty a bit they would always fix it. If something went wrong under warranty that part was then covered by at least another year's warranty even if the car wasn't. Can't say I liked the customers though. Don't know what it's like now of course!
Last edited by Jaf on 27 Aug 2013, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Jaf wrote:I used to work for audi 15 years ago. Their warranty procedure was excellent, everything was covered - even bulbs, and if you went out of warranty a bit they would always fix it. If something went wrong under warranty that part was then covered by at least another year's warranty even if the car wasn't. Can't say I liked the customers though. Don't know what it's like of course!
Audi clearly take pride in their marque and guard their reputation. Don't like Audis myself, they always seem a bit "Flash 'Arry" for my tastes, but if it's a choice between a meaningful warranty and "something else", then I'd have to consider this when buying a new car. As it stands, second-hand it is for me.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

My cousin had a problem with the suspension on his TT, the work was done under warranty, and he was completely satisfied with the customer service.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:My cousin had a problem with the suspension on his TT, the work was done under warranty, and he was completely satisfied with the customer service.
Yes, as I suggest above Audi seem to honour their warranties. if I bought new now, it wouldn't be certain manufacturers and I would consider it very carefully.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I've never been rich enough to buy a new car, or even one new enough to have a bit of manufacturers warranty left.
I have a three year warranty from the company I bought my car from.
They checked and re-gassed the air-con shortly after I bought it.

When the MOT was due, I asked them to service the car too, although the service interval states 20,000 miles or two years!!!! and it had done about 5000 and a year since the last service. I asked them if the early service would affect the warranty and they said "certainly not, the early service was considered good practice and the service intervals were a maximum, not an instruction"

They also contacted Citroen and were given permission to change all my tyre pressure sensors F.O.C as two of the valves were leaking.

I have to say, with the ridiculously long recommended service intervals, if you need to stay within the schedule to validate your warranty, and you go over the mileage or time limit, it's nobody's fault but your own.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

qprdude wrote:I've never been rich enough to buy a new car, or even one new enough to have a bit of manufacturers warranty left.
I have a three year warranty from the company I bought my car from.
They checked and re-gassed the air-con shortly after I bought it.

When the MOT was due, I asked them to service the car too, although the service interval states 20,000 miles or two years!!!! and it had done about 5000 and a year since the last service. I asked them if the early service would affect the warranty and they said "certainly not, the early service was considered good practice and the service intervals were a maximum, not an instruction"

They also contacted Citroen and were given permission to change all my tyre pressure sensors F.O.C as two of the valves were leaking.

I have to say, with the ridiculously long recommended service intervals, if you need to stay within the schedule to validate your warranty, and you go over the mileage or time limit, it's nobody's fault but your own.
Agree regarding those that don't take their vehicles in until it's far too late and think it's reasonable top do so, but there are those companies that seem to reject perfectly reasonable claims such as the one outlined in the O.P.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yes, I agree that warranties are a minefield, whether from a retailer or a manufacturer. A bit like travel insurance, or indeed, any insurance. They need to be examined very carefully. The warranty default seems to be to confuse the customer and make it difficult for the layman to understand the limitations of the product.
My only point was, if the customer cannot be bothered to stick to the terms of the warranty, they should not expect warranty provider to do so either. I've never had any problems with a claim, but I have never failed to have my car serviced as schedule, as it is too important to ignore.
A warranty has terms and conditions, and is for a finite period of time. If the terms are not met, or the time limit has expired, then the vehicle (or washing machine, new greenhouse, trousers etc.) is not covered.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Warranties are NOT limited by Citroen, they are also covered by "fair use" as well. "Fair Use" will get you an exchange fridge if it goes Bang outside the manufactures cover...it did for me :) after 4 years on a ONE year manufactures warranty.
The EU Regs on such matters are well worth investigating. FAIR USE and Fair Expectation is a wide area
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

qprdude wrote:Yes, I agree that warranties are a minefield, whether from a retailer or a manufacturer. A bit like travel insurance, or indeed, any insurance. They need to be examined very carefully. The warranty default seems to be to confuse the customer and make it difficult for the layman to understand the limitations of the product.
My only point was, if the customer cannot be bothered to stick to the terms of the warranty, they should not expect warranty provider to do so either. I've never had any problems with a claim, but I have never failed to have my car serviced as schedule, as it is too important to ignore.
A warranty has terms and conditions, and is for a finite period of time. If the terms are not met, or the time limit has expired, then the vehicle (or washing machine, new greenhouse, trousers etc.) is not covered.
I agree with what you're saying, but I don't think the thread has set out to disagree with you. We start from the outset with an 82-year doing the right thing then seemingly being treated really badly. Then we move on to a general discussion about manufacturers not honouring their commitments where people have followed their servicing to the letter - or at least well within interpretable parameters. As an aside, and why I started looking at warranties, I brought into the thread my current issue with a second car, sold to me recently by a dealer, with the warranty apparently maintained as indicated by their sales contract, but not by their servicing records, for which the onus is on them and not me or the manufacturer. A query has therefore gone in and I'm awaiting the outcome.
Stickyfinger wrote:Warranties are NOT limited by Citroen, they are also covered by "fair use" as well. "Fair Use" will get you an exchange fridge if it goes Bang outside the manufactures cover...it did for me :) after 4 years on a ONE year manufactures warranty. The EU Regs on such matters are well worth investigating. FAIR USE and Fair Expectation is a wide area
Absolutely.
Last edited by frenchcarnut on 29 Aug 2013, 17:42, edited 2 times in total.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR