1.6 hdi turbo oil feed pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

1.6 hdi turbo oil feed pipe

Post by john alexander »

Hi, I brushed against the turbo oil feed tube on my C5 1.6 hdi today and found it was loose, the pipe was sliding about in the banjo .
I've had an oil leak but didn't know from where . As a new pipe is the best part of 50 quid it came off and I welded both ends , yep
both ends loose . Please check yours.. While I've got the DPF off should I knock the middle out ( the laptop says the filter is at 16%
and the eloyes was refilled 3 years ago ) Is it wise to do this without having the DPF deleted , or just jetwash it. I've seen posts
saying to remove the gauze from the oil pipe , I cant see any gauze where is it . Thanks John.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: 1.6 hdi turbo oil feed pipe

Post by Old-Guy »

I'd prefer to see steel banjos brazed onto steel pipes rather than welding: welds are brittle and no matter the method (gas, MIG TIG) it's very much harder to get a reliable and durable oil-tight joint. Brass banjos of course need to be silver-soldered (tinsmith's, not plumber's or electrical, solder).

Any gauze filter would seem to be a bit pointless as all the oil being fed to the turbo has been through the (much finer) filter element; BUT, that said, if Citroen have fitted one there must have been a good reason - the turbo-charger rotor spins at astronomical revs in a relatively small plain bearing so any foreign body in the oil supply can have disastrous consequences. Perhaps there were turbo failures with new(ish) engines caused by swarf in the oil-ways.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)