Essential In Vehicle Toolkit?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Essential In Vehicle Toolkit?

Post by ecohouse1 »

In my Xantia estate I have a bad habit of carrying around my full workshop tool box along with a medium trolley jack!As well as taking up a quarter of the boot it weighs a fair bit - c30kg? What is the general consensus on a "get you home" tool kit. I was thinking of looking for a cheapy set in a blow pastic case with a selection of combi spanners, sockets, screwdrivers and pliers plus a few cable ties etc? I do have roadside assistance via my insurance but sometimes its quicker to do a quicky repair at the time. Any suggestions?
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: Essential In Vehicle Toolkit?

Post by Chlorate »

I can't possibly comment...my toolkit takes up most of my boot :twisted:

To be honest though the things that are likely to go t!ts up on an HDi Xantia aren't generally your fix by the side of the road sort of job.
I would recommend a BoL, proper jack, various screwdrivers, set of torx keys, multimeter, some wire, pliers, some sockets and spanners (11mm, 13mm, 17mm, 7mm), mole grips, hammer, selection of hose clips, axle stands and of course gaffer tape.

And a Lexia if you have one :-D

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I have same issue ;)

disposable gloves,

torch (headtorch or magnetic one) fuel filter if a TD :)

small screw jack instead of trolley..

rag

mirror on a stick

magnetic probe thing

something that could fix a leak in a hydraulic/oil pipe.. happened on motorbike last month..
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

Mine used to be 2 full toolsets, axle stands, big 4x4 jack and a plethora of other tools like hammers, torque wrench, telescopic magnet.

Now it's just a can of tyre weld, mini toolkit with a socket set, adjustable spanner and screwdriver set, a tyre pump and WD40.
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

You've all forgotten the most important thing - a pair of overalls. :twisted: :lol:

Going somewhere in a suit or other good clothes ? You really don't want to be lying on the ground in the rain or mud under the car in good clothes... even to change a flat tyre! Just getting the spare wheel out of the wheel carrier on the side of the road on a dark rainy night without ruining your clothes can be a mission on a Xantia with a rusty underbelly, let alone attempting to repair an LHM leak etc...

I echo most of the above comments, especially - head mounted LED torch, rags, mirror on a stick, telescopic magnet on a stick, Spare LHM/coolant/engine oil, a couple of blocks of wood to chock the wheels, and a small tool set including sockets, spanner, pliers etc.

I also tend to carry around my trolley jack, ramps and axle stands, but that's mainly because I have nowhere else to store them! :lol:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

None of the above, just a credit card and the phone number of a local recovery firm :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

I think superstition plays a part in it as well. I always think that the minute I take the tool kit out that's when I will have a breakdown.

Mind you the times I have had a problem there was only so much I could do eg buggered alternator brushes leading to a flat battery, radiator hose detaching from the radiator etc. The hose I sorted with a shove and getting filthy, the battery problem was less easy at the roadside.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

A length of stout wire, some insulated wire and choc-block connectors, cable ties, bits of various sized hose and pipe suitable for coupling them, screws and nuts in common sizes, alligator clips, jubilee clips etc. Also a little pot of hand cleaner.
It's all very well having the tools, but if something fails, the means of bodging a get-you-home replacement is required!
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Mandrake wrote:You've all forgotten the most important thing - a pair of overalls. :twisted: :lol:

Going somewhere in a suit or other good clothes ? You really don't want to be lying on the ground in the rain or mud under the car in good clothes... even to change a flat tyre! Just getting the spare wheel out of the wheel carrier on the side of the road on a dark rainy night without ruining your clothes can be a mission on a Xantia with a rusty underbelly, let alone attempting to repair an LHM leak etc...
Waterproof overalls for all the reasons given - a cheap florescent orange 'chemical suit'.

I'd also add:
  • Breaker bar and 19mm socket for tight wheel bolts
    Hammer
    Good pair of big pliers
    Medium size snipe nose pliers
    Molegrips
    Water-pump grips
    Gorilla tape (very superior gaffer tape)
If you don't keep a genuine Swiss Army knife in your pocket, put one on your Christmas list, and in the meantime make sure there's a sharp knife in the car,

Not tools, but essential emergency kit:
  • First Aid kit
    Couple of emergency 'space' blankets
    Bicycle LED rear light (flashing type) - small, very cheap and a potential life saver if you lose all electrical power.
    Florescent jackets
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Diabolical
My Cars:

Post by Diabolical »

Sorry but all but "Gibbo2286" are completely mad.
06 C5 2.0L HDi Exclusive Estate 20020k and rising. :-)
1987 Citroen CX Prestige. De Corps Brun Maya - cuir blond tabac, très chic
08 Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 Sovereign Estate - Green (HGZ) - Leather Ivory seats.

citroencx.co.uk
captaintau
My Cars:

Post by captaintau »

I won't drive anywhere without
- RAC card
- iPhone + car charger
- Leatherman (any one of various models)

That covers it. However I also have a toolkit containing various bits I've decided "could be useful" over the years, bearing in mind that really anything other than changing a tyre and I'm stuck.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Diabolical wrote:Sorry but all but "Gibbo2286" are completely mad.
Hey now I've used breakdown recovery more times than I'd care to admit. As I said, generally speaking breakdowns are not often fixable by the side of the road. But if it's something very simple it's much better to have a couple of tools to hand to get you back on the road instead of waiting 4 hours for some bloke in a van to turn up.

And of course the b*stards tend to put your premiums up if you have the audacity to use them...may as well get your money's worth!
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

2 Hi Viz vests
Warning Triangle
Mobile phone
AA card
Warranty details.
Blanket
Bottle of drinking water
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I used to carry a box full of tools but now just a leatherman and a breakdown recovery policy. Always had great service from the recovery guys. I think all times I have had a breakdown it has been some sort of hydraulic failure which with the best will in the world isn't usually a roadside job.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong