engine oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviebx
My Cars:

engine oil

Post by steviebx »

have started to do a bit of servicing on my old bx diesel......i suspect that the oil hasn't been changed as it should because of 'suspect' servicing by someone else who should have done a good job...
drained all the old stuff out....new filter and 5w30 synthetic oil.........the intention is for it to act as a good flushing agent for a while....but don't know if i should just keep using it.......after all, synthetic oil has better load characteristics and is cleaner......any opinions?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Depends what you can afford. You might also trial synth vs mineral oil on the same change intervals to see which brought out more suspended dirt when you dropped it.
steviebx
My Cars:

Re: engine oil

Post by steviebx »

i get my engine oil 'out of the back door' multi-fleet 5w30 synthetic for vauxhall vans, however i've just spent nearly 20 quid on semi synthetic 15w40 just in case.....
steviebx
My Cars:

Post by steviebx »

i remember not so long ago when i checked my oil when i got it home from a service and it looked quite black.......my man said that new oil goes black very quickly in a diesel..........however ....have checked my new oil after a few miles and i can still see transparency......with black staining in suspension....
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

steviebx wrote:i remember not so long ago when i checked my oil when i got it home from a service and it looked quite black.......my man said that new oil goes black very quickly in a diesel..........however ....have checked my new oil after a few miles and i can still see transparency......with black staining in suspension....
Oil in diesels does change colour very quickly.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

But usually it takes a little longer than the drive home from a service. :twisted:
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Chlorate wrote:But usually it takes a little longer than the drive home from a service. :twisted:
I hope they gave the oil filter a little polish too :)
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

steviebx wrote:i get my engine oil 'out of the back door' multi-fleet 5w30 synthetic for vauxhall vans, however i've just spent nearly 20 quid on semi synthetic 15w40 just in case.....
So are you saying you nick your oil from your employer but object to being ripped off yourself? :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I use Comma semi synthetic in all my cars, costs about £13.00 from Trago Mills, use the cheapest oil you can find that is within spec and change it every 5,000 miles, your engine should last almost forever then.

Peter
Diabolical
My Cars:

Post by Diabolical »

I have just changed oil in my C5 that I bought from main stealer, Total Quartz 9000 £29 that I thought was pretty good. However Sportif, Aylesbury are a bunch of pompous dickheads as the managed to also sell me incorrect filter £18 and wrong sized copper washer 99p.
First time changed oil in this car so I didn't see the difference until I went about it, so being a Sunday I had to hellfrauds to get correct ones.
I am going to give them some stick at Sportif tomorrow.

PS: Sportif at Chalfont Saint Giles are superb another 12 miles for me tho.
06 C5 2.0L HDi Exclusive Estate 20020k and rising. :-)
1987 Citroen CX Prestige. De Corps Brun Maya - cuir blond tabac, très chic
08 Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 Sovereign Estate - Green (HGZ) - Leather Ivory seats.

citroencx.co.uk
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

On my Xantia TD I go for the cheapest 15W/40 oil in spec from the likes of Asda, Aldi or Lidl and change it and the filter every 4-5k miles. I got a bulk deal on filters - Purflux 1109's 10 for £12. Never had any problems and it uses no oil between changes (roughly every 4 months) I like new oil in for the Turbo mainly. Mine turns black within a hundred miles or so. I put it down to the residual oil still in the engine plus the usual diesel soot. Friend of mine just back with Ford Torneo - oil & filter "service" at the Ford Stealer - how much? £179!!! Told him about my £12.99 oil & £2 filter! - sick is not the word!! I can do my change in 10 minutes! Back from a run - select high. Switch of engine - take off cap - remove plug - let oil drain into receptacle. Whip off filter. While oil dripping out - fill filter with fresh oil. Refit plug. Finger over filter opening - spin on new filter. Refill to just under max mark. Done
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

6 months i change mine - 15w40 castrol gtx (book spec on the oil) - filter from carparts4less at £3 (also fuel filter). cant go wrong really
Simon
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ecp are doing a great offer on oil at the mo but be very quick, it's £12.50 for 5 litres so stock up :)
steviebx
My Cars:

Post by steviebx »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
steviebx wrote:i get my engine oil 'out of the back door' multi-fleet 5w30 synthetic for vauxhall vans, however i've just spent nearly 20 quid on semi synthetic 15w40 just in case.....
So are you saying you nick your oil from your employer but object to being ripped off yourself? :shock:
perhaps ...'out of the back door' was the wrong term........more of a perk.......always something left at the bottom of the barrel......