2.2 EGR valve cleaning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dawsy 22
My Cars:

2.2 EGR valve cleaning

Post by dawsy 22 »

Hi again could anyone give me any tips on how to clean the egr valve in situ on my 2.2 C5 I have bought a tin of wynns egr cleaner
Thanks Ian
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: 2.2 EGR valve cleaning

Post by SaabC5 »

There's a silver pipe that comes from it to the front of the engine where it joins the manifold, pull off the front half of the engine cover and you will see it. If you crack off the two 10mm nuts you can spray the egr valve cleaner down the pipe into the valve to clean it. Do it in short sharp bursts or the engine will die on you.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
dawsy 22
My Cars:

Post by dawsy 22 »

Cheers for the quick reply ,does the cleaner get sucked down that pipe if so would it be more beneficial to go to the join at the back of the engine.(I have a reusable clamp at that point from previous work that i have done
Thanks Ian
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Is that silver pipe not the outlet for the EGR valve ? Meaning you would be spraying in against the flow of exhaust gasses ?
You can just spray it into the air intake after the airflow meter, i would personally not bother & just blank the valve off.
dawsy 22
My Cars:

Post by dawsy 22 »

That was what i was thinking wheeler I have blanked off the pipe at the manifold end but was told if the egr is stuck open I would loose power so Iam trying things to get it to shut
Thanks Ian
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

It doesn't really matter where you blank it, If your blanking it at the manifold then it doesn't matter if its stuck open or not, if the exhaust gasses can't enter the inlet manifold then it won't cause any loss of power.