Citroen relay -finding the low speed fan relay .

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Howard G
New User

Citroen relay -finding the low speed fan relay .

Post by Howard G »

Hi,

Background:
I have a citroen relay 2.2hdi van 2005. Last week I drove down to slough on the m25 from Norwich and was stuck in a jam for three hours. The van behaved perfectly "until" I zoomed away and the engine light came on. After initial panic and nowhere to stop I eventually pulled over. Temp / fluids / levels all ok and engine power normal.

I successfully got home and at the local garage obtained the fault code po480 - Low speed fan relay fault.

I checked this online and gather it relates to the low speed fan / fan relay / ecm?? etc.

I checked the fans and the low speed fan was stuck solid!!!hurrah and obtained a working one from the scrapyard, fitted it, disconnected the battery to hopefully clear the engine light but the light is still on........ so I then assumed the relay concerned had also failed and ordered a new one from Duff morgan in Norwich which is coming tomorrow.

Question:
How do I identify the relay to change. I asked in Duff Morgan and was shown a picture with two fans and a control box between the fan with two relays etc and it also showed a thermostat in the radiator. The guy was adamant if I looked harder this is what I would see!
My van has no thermostat in the radiator and the wiring of the fans has a black earth from each that goes to the body and a red (lowspeed) and red/black (highspeed)power feed which enters a fuse box / relay box in the engine bay. The wires enter this box via a blue connecter in the base and I assume the fans draw their power from here. What I don't want to do is pry the thing apart and follow the wiring further unless I have to.

So - does anyone know which relay it might me?

Many many thanks, Howard
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Citroen relay -finding the low speed fan relay .

Post by RichardW »

Welcome Howard :lol:

It's possible that the light won't go out without resetting the fault code using the diagnostic computer.

If you post up the last 8 digits of the VIN, we can check the parts database to see what it says.
Richard W
Howard G
New User

Re: Citroen relay -finding the low speed fan relay .

Post by Howard G »

Thank's Richard,

Problem appear solved.

Having traced the wires from the fans back to this fuse box and showing that to the guys at Duff Morgan they decided it should not be there as the pictures in the computer did not match the vin..................! The relay I was ordered was bright yellow and matched none on the vehicle.
However when I bothered to turn the fuse box cover over the fuses were identified on the underneath - fan1 40amp maxi fan2 40amp maxi etc and so were the relays.
Fan1 fuse was blown so I replaced it. Engine light remained on though.
The fan relay In the box I was advised is not a replacement part ( it is a standard pull out part but you cant buy it(????))
I asked them to stick the incorrect relay .........back on the shelf!

Anyway, I then came home and disconnected the battery for a bit..............light remained on..............I ran the engine on fast idle with all electrics running at max in order to try and see if I could raise the engine temp till the fans cut in and see what happened ( 1 thought fan2 would work regardless of any issue ) It didn't go over normal after ten mins -but the light went out while my head was under the bonnet and has stayed out. All things appear normal.

Morals of the story - always turn the cover over / trust your eyes and not the computer!!!!

I have to say the guys at Duff Morgan parts desk where very helpful. But when it came to the visual facts, they were lost. Because the van didn't match what the computer showed they became unable to offer any advise. And the relays that you cant buy separately - are everywhere online!

Now to change the drop links and nsf top mount bearing!