The little things you find out about in the car!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

The little things you find out about in the car!

Post by Timmo »

to some of you, this is probably not new or interesting at all lol! but whilst folding the seats down in the Xant to put the wife's bike in recently had a look at the Holes you see in the back of the seat base, I've Always assumed they were purely for the purpose of air flow when sat on, and never thought that they may have another use! For Years with our cars when folding the seats down I've chucked the headrests in the footwells, Never even considering that the holes in the back of the base are in fact Headrest holding holes!!!
Suddenly one of those All makes sense moments hahaha! the wife's fiat even has plastic inserts in them its trying to be that posh! :-D

anyways, sorry for my ramblings but this really tickled me!! :-D
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Older cars came with a small black knob in the dash. It was for women to pull out; thus it formed a convenient handbag tethering point.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: The little things you find out about in the car!

Post by citronut »

Timmo wrote:to some of you, this is probably not new or interesting at all lol! but whilst folding the seats down in the Xant to put the wife's bike in recently had a look at the Holes you see in the back of the seat base, I've Always assumed they were purely for the purpose of air flow when sat on, and never thought that they may have another use! For Years with our cars when folding the seats down I've chucked the headrests in the footwells, Never even considering that the holes in the back of the base are in fact Headrest holding holes!!!
Suddenly one of those All makes sense moments hahaha! the wife's fiat even has plastic inserts in them its trying to be that posh! :-D

anyways, sorry for my ramblings but this really tickled me!! :-D
well you learn something new every day, then you forget three :o :roll: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Re: The little things you find out about in the car!

Post by Timmo »

That is very true! Haha!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:Older cars came with a small black knob in the dash. It was for women to pull out; thus it formed a convenient handbag tethering point.
Reminds me of the story of a woman in the 80s who complained her petrol 405 had terrible fuel consumption.
She took it to the garage, they gave her a courtesy car and told her to come back that evening.
They found nothing wrong, they'd filled it up, gone on a long drive, the fuel use matched what was expected.
When she came back before they could tell her they'd found no fault, she started ranting that the courtesy car was just as bad.
So they thought it best if they joined her in the car to see if perhaps there was something about the way she drove.
Fuming that not only had they not fixed the problem but they'd given her a car that was just as bad, she agreed.
As the mechanic got in he saw her pull out the choke and hang her handbag on it...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re:

Post by spider »

addo wrote:Older cars came with a small black knob in the dash. It was for women to pull out; thus it formed a convenient handbag tethering point.
And excellent running when cold but after a couple of miles bad idling and eventually cutting out and maybe not starting for an hour after ? ;) :mrgreen:
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Re:

Post by Gibbo2286 »

spider wrote:
And excellent running when cold but after a couple of miles bad idling and eventually cutting out and maybe not starting for an hour after ? ;) :mrgreen:
I spent a bit of time in an army hospital in Egypt, those of us who were up and about were taken to see a show, Terry Thomas and Lorrae Desmond + others

It was a pitch black evening and we were on an army Bedford bus 'Canal Army Bus Service' , ten miles down the road it stuttered to a halt, somebody shouted "There's a mechanic on here somewhere!"

That was me :( , made my way to the front, too dark to see anything but there was strong smell of petrol, I felt around in the dark, sure enough the choke was full on, I pushed it off and whispered in the driver's ear "Prat......hold the throttle wide open and try again."

The motor fired up.........a big rousing cheer and off we went to the show.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.