front wheel bearing/hub carrier fitment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ianscar

front wheel bearing/hub carrier fitment

Post by ianscar »

when fitting a new front wheel bearing , is it fitted first to the hub carrier and then finally is the hub then fitted through the new bearing centre.

If so do i heat the hub carrier up and freeze the bearing which then leaves me with just the hub to fit through the bearing.
Since the hub is an interference fit ,do i just freeze it overnight before fitting.

Just a bit confused as to which part to fit the bearing to first ,the carrier or the hub #-o
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: front wheel bearing/hub carrier fitment

Post by Stewart(oily) »

when I watched my mate pressing them out the centre came out first then the bearing was pressed out of the hub, the new one was pressed into the hub using a spacer that only pushed on the outer edge of the new bearing, finally the hub was inserted, good luck with getting them apart without the use of a press, if you want to use temperature pop the bearing in the freezer overnight and the hub in the oven, probably best to make sure the wife is out :)
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
ianscar

Post by ianscar »

got the hub out using a socket and a club hammer on a granite road kerb. Since i was fitting a new hub, wasn't worried about damaging the old one.
I was left with the outer bearing ring and a rusty immovable circlip. Worked the circlip loose using two flat bladed srewdrivers as it was rrusted in situ and then used the trick from this forum of arc welding a ring on both sides of the stuckfast outer bearing shell and hey presto a few light taps it fell out.

Fitting the bearing to the carrier dosen't seem to be rocket science but i don't want to damage the new hub . Wish i knew someone who worked in a cyrogenics lab and they could deep freeze the hub carrier better than a domestic freezer.

Thanks for the reply
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

You dont want the hub carrier small and cold you want it big and hot, you want the bearing small and cold.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's got to go hub out of bearing, then bearing out of carrier; refit bearing to carrier, then hub to bearing. Won't come out otherwise. You want the hub carrier hot and the bearing cold for the first operation, then bearing and carrier hot (but not so hot as to wreck the bearing!) and hub cold for the second. Don't forget to support the full face (or at least the inner race) of the bearing when pressing the hub back in, otherwise there's a chance the bearing will separate.... :roll:
Last edited by RichardW on 12 Aug 2013, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the new bearing goes into the hub carrier first, i usually get the bearing started and perfectly straight, then use an old inner race in conjunction with a threaded bar, thick round discs the bar can go through, and wind it back into the carrier,

then the same with the drive flange/hub, but mind you place the old inner against the inside new inner, otherwise as the hub goes through the outer inner race it will push the inner inner race out of the bearing,

a never use any heat/cold
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
ianscar

Post by ianscar »

so once i had the new bearing in the carrier , how hot would you recommend in the oven so that i don't destroy the bearing?

Something like 180 for 20 mins ? or is that too hot

then if i destroy it i can have bearing and beans for tea. :cry:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Keep it below the melting point for wheel bearing grease, about 175°Celsius.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ianscar wrote:so once i had the new bearing in the carrier , how hot would you recommend in the oven so that i don't destroy the bearing?
NO NO NO!!!!! :? :shock: #-o :wink: down boy do not put the carrier in the oven at all with the bearing fitted,

the sugestion made above was to expand the carrier and shrink the bearing, to make fitting the bearing into the carrier easier,

and not for the process of fitting the hub/flange into the bearing
Regards, malcolm.

Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

If you know anyone with a CO2 fire extinguisher they don't want anymore, you could stick the drive flange in a bucket give it a good blast.

Although to be honest it'd probably be a lot easier/cheaper to pop down to a friendly garage with a 4 pack and ask if you can borrow their press and collection of assorted bits of useful metal for 20 minutes :D
It's considerably easier to get the flange in the bearing than it is to get the bearing out of the upright.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
ianscar

Post by ianscar »

ok ,point taken
dumpty of the week i am . I did have doubts about bearing seals ,grease and my dinner in the oven
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I'm sure Heston would make a fortune off that.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You are not a dumpty, just lacking the relevant knowledge. We all suffer from that in certain areas, hence the main reason for the existence of this forum (other then for general chit-chat and cracking jokes!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

everyone only knows what they know,

what every you know others might have no eyed dear :roll: :wink: whoooops sorry thats what you call a dear with no eyes :shock: :twisted: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

ianscar

Post by ianscar »

last question on this subject.

If the bearing and hub are an "interference" fit , is it not better to use no lubricant at all during assembly, althought it may make it easier and quicker to assemble.