Firmware upgrade

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nevdixon
My Cars:

Firmware upgrade

Post by nevdixon »

Hi folks!!

Just bought a 58 plate C5 VTR+ with Nav and will be picking it up on Monday ( :-D )

The sat nav system is currently on version rneg_D_R20h_R20.16 - is it worth updating to the latest version (50?) or just leave it as it is?

Is there a list of changes / bug fixes for the different versions anywhere?

Many Thanks in advance

Nev
2008 C5 VTR+ Nav
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Firmware upgrade

Post by qprdude »

Not sure which Nav unit you have, but upgrades from Citroen ain't cheap as far as I know.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Assuming you've got the RNEG variant of Sat Nav (your quoted current firmware number certainly fits the bill), then firmware updates do offer small improvements to older installs. Normally it's to do with Bluetooth connections or compatibility issues, nothing major or earth shattering, but useful all the same. There was a fairly major update released earlier this year(?) which added a (very) little to the Sat Nav. The update disc can be purchaed from Citroen if you've got a local dealer you don't mind visiting - I think costs vary from a few pence to a few pounds, but not much all the same. You can also download a copy of the firmware from such sites as http://gpsunderground.com/forum/car-nav ... t-citroen/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but make sure it's the right one for your car, and it's essential that you have the engine running when you do the install (around 20-odd minutes) so that the car doesn't shut down into economy mode part way through an install. On the RNEG variant, you can do the update whilst driving - but don't rely on your Sat Nav whilst driving as it won't work until the update is complete ! I don't think any of the firmare updates have cured the mis-reporting of speed camera speed limits yet :? If you go down the route of downloading the firmware from the internet, then - as with anything downloaded from t'internet - you do so at your own risk...... but I've not encountered any problems with downloading the firmwares yet :) You can update the firmware buy burning it to a disc and sticking it in the CD slot, or by putting it on an SD card (RNEG variants) and put it in the SD slot.
The firmware upgrade won't update the Sat Nav database, but these can be obtained from the same sources as listed above !
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Ah, that's what I was thinking of. Not firmware, but map updates. Sorry about that. The map updates are the expensive bit.(the official ones)
Rick.

nevdixon
My Cars:

Post by nevdixon »

Many thanks for the info guys. I think I'll see if I have any Bluetooth issues first before I decide to upgrade as over the years I've learnt if it aint broke - don't fix it!!!!

Cheers

Nev
2008 C5 VTR+ Nav
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Might not have bluetooth nev. Mine is a 2008 exclusive, and it has a slot for the phone sim card. No pairing with bluetooth. Yours might be a later model though.
Rick.