What Price MkII C5 2007 to 2009?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

frenchcarnut

What Price MkII C5 2007 to 2009?

Post by frenchcarnut »

Well, given my auto gearbox predicament :roll: , what sort of dosh are we looking at for something half decent?

I suppose it's a case of, how long's a piece of string?

Anyway, now on the lookout for something just in case

Apologies if this should/shouldn't be in For Sale/Wanted but didn't know and rather hesitant as to where given the speculative nature of the post
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: What Price MkII C5 2007 to 2009?

Post by qprdude »

Well to start with, the real Citroen c5 has only two phases. The phase 1 and phase 1 facelift, then the phase two X7. There has never been a phase 3, no matter what peaple call the new shape car. Even garages!
That said, the phase 1 facelift production ended in 2007 and the phase 2 X7 replaced it in 2008, so as regards pricing, the X7 being a current production model will be considerably more expensive than the 2007 facelift car.
If you are looking for a more budget buy, it would probably have to be up to 2007, although the 2008 X7 is becoming more affordable but mainly the lower spec higher mileage ones.
The cost depends on where you intend to buy, what mileage you can live with and any warranty you can get.
There's no definitive answer but you might want to keep an eye on sites like autotrader to see what they are going for.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

qprdude wrote:Well to start with, the real Citroen c5 has only two phases. The phase 1 and phase 1 facelift, then the phase two X7. There has never been a phase 3, no matter what peaple call the new shape car. Even garages!
That said, the phase 1 facelift production ended in 2007 and the phase 2 X7 replaced it in 2008, so as regards pricing, the X7 being a current production model will be considerably more expensive than the 2007 facelift car.
If you are looking for a more budget buy, it would probably have to be up to 2007, although the 2008 X7 is becoming more affordable but mainly the lower spec higher mileage ones.
The cost depends on where you intend to buy, what mileage you can live with and any warranty you can get.
There's no definitive answer but you might want to keep an eye on sites like autotrader to see what they are going for.
Yes it was a silly question from me and just showing a little frustration.

Thanks for clarifying model updates
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Not a silly question at all. All I meant was, you're considering two different models with the spread from 2007 to 2009. Covering a model change year is an easy mistake to make, especially as there is a lot of confusion over the two C5 generations. Autotrader has loads of Generation one facelifts for around and under £2000, but they have a fair old mileage on them. You can look at that two ways, either they have been well maintained and all the bad bits have been sorted, or , you could be buying someone else's trouble. Same with all used cars I suppose, and it's not something I ever look forward to. I had a first generation car (2001 I think) and I loved it. It was the base spec and I always regretted not stretching to a higher spec model. When I returned to Citroen after Rover, Renault, Jaguar, and Saab, I went for the top spec. I haven't regretted it for a minute, but it wasn't cheap.
I suspect a second generation X7 C5 (2008>0) is going to be around £5000+ for a decent spec with acceptable mileage. There are a few with 150000 + miles and the VTR spec but the smart advice is to avoid the 1.6 engine.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

qprdude wrote:I suspect a second generation X7 C5 (2008>0) is going to be around £5000+ for a decent spec with acceptable mileage. There are a few with 150000 + miles and the VTR spec but the smart advice is to avoid the 1.6 engine.
Definitely well worth knowing, thank you
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The best price guide is Ebay, as you watch an auction you can see what price it actually sells for - that's what it worth. Its also generally the cheapest place to buy, especially if you don't mind doing a bit of work. I wouldn't have an auto, largely because of your problem.

Peter
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Peter.N. wrote:The best price guide is Ebay, as you watch an auction you can see what price it actually sells for - that's what it worth. Its also generally the cheapest place to buy, especially if you don't mind doing a bit of work. I wouldn't have an auto, largely because of your problem.

Peter
We got an auto mainly because of my wife's arthritis (knees), but she's permanently under a physio so we're going to get advice on going back to her driving a manual again. That would please me for sure. I actually think a semi-auto / stickshift idea is better where a manual clutch is retained (like original VW Beetle stickshift).

Edit - In 1998 drove an old lumpy Merc (1970s) with a great auto gearbox during my stay in Palo Alto, California. Thought it was just one of those well serviced cars, but now thinking, "how many gearboxes or gearbox refurbs has it gone through?"
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR