1996 306 the elusive blue wiper delay relay

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LINCOLN

1996 306 the elusive blue wiper delay relay

Post by LINCOLN »

First time post on an old topic. 1996 mark 2 ? 306. Wipers will only work on single speed and single wipe held down. No park, intermittent, wipe on wash or fast speed. I have seen this problem on numerous sites but no definitive answer as to where else the blue relay might be. It is not any where near the main fuse box/ relay area. I have consulted a Peugeot dealer that says I should have a blue relay but their wiring diagrams do not show where it is located. I have substituted another motor, rain sensor and the purple relays. Changed the fusebox and a new wiper stalk. Wipers decided to work CORRECTLY on Friday except for the fast speed then went back to the original fault. Motor is GOOD I have bench tested it for both speeds. (Mechanic for 38 years). Please just tell me where the Blue relay could have been alternatively located as I have had half the dash apart trying to find it. The wiring from the wiper stalk goes into the wiring loom behind the dash and off to the left where it cannot be seen without taking the dash out. It is charity work now so I am doing this for peace of mind. Also cannot see relay in engine compartment. If the wipers are not controlled by the blue delay relay what control box is controlling them ? Cheers
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 1996 306 the elusive blue wiper delay relay

Post by spider »

I'm about 90% sure its well hidden above the fuse/relay panel in the drivers side. You have to (carefully!) unbolt the fusebox and you should see it above that.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
LINCOLN

Post by LINCOLN »

Hello Spider. Thanks for the reply. I have been all over the dash area. Taken the heater vents and tubing out from both outer vents and checked above the fusebox even with it removed. I have used an endoscope camera as much as I could around the whole dash area. The fusebox is a basic fusebox not acting as a body control module as well. I think it is either somewhere else, it has a different coloured relay or wiper functions controlled by a different unit. The dealer says my vin should have the blue relay !! Cheers
spider

Post by spider »

Hmm.

I'm sure its still there you know, it should be floating around behind the fusebox if its not part of it. Some had the purple relay. Its not immediately visible unless you move the fusebox out a bit as far as I remember (working from memory I can remember one 'behind' it on one 306)
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

See here > http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-12045.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know that's an earlier model but it shows where I mean, if they still have it. You see what I mean by buried behind the panel now ( fun :( )

However if you move the panel you should at least be able to see it with a light etc to determine if you do have one hidden there.
Andy.

LINCOLN

Post by LINCOLN »

Thanks Spider I have seen that post on the 306 forum before but believe me I have taken the fusebox out and there is no blue relay to be found anywhere in the fusebox area. So I am back to square one at mo. Cheers
spider

Post by spider »

I'm not sure what to say then if you're sure its not there, its not part of the fusebox its sort of 'floating' in the loom on some models though.

Perhaps someone else will have another idea, without seeing the car I'm not sure what to suggest apart from a replacement motor as the parking tang may of broken or moved internally on it. Thankfully the wiper motor is relatively easy to change. If obtaining used, ensure you look at the stalk on the donor if possible and the plug on yours and the donor too (number of pins and plug size) as very early base models did not have an intermittent wipe and you don't want a motor from one of these although unless you found a K or L plate XN / XND its unlikely you'd get a 'bad' one.
Andy.