Wheel bearing gone? Syngerie

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MPV

Wheel bearing gone? Syngerie

Post by MPV »

Just got the car through its MOT, then soon after I started getting a bad rumbling/growling noise when there is the slightest turn to the left on the steering wheel. I think it might be one of the wheel bearings. I suppose I'm going to have to jack up each corner and try and find out which one it is. How easy is it to change the bearings on a Synergie? is it something the average DIYer can do or is it a garage job?
Synergie XUD9 - the "Duck-billed-clatterbus"
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Wheel bearing gone? Syngerie

Post by Stewart(oily) »

It will need a fly press to remove the bearing from the hub, but you could save yourself a lot of money if you remove the hub carrier yourself and take it to an engineering place.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
MPV

Post by MPV »

What if I bought a new hub carrier and put the new bearing in that and swapped it over?

Is this the right bit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Wheel-H ... 58a08d5b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a bit worried about leaving the car up on axel stands in the street for any length of time, so if I can do a straight swap it would make life a lot easier...
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Wrong bit sorry, if you are going to the breakers you will need the whole hub carrier, its a fair piece, the strut plugs into the top of it, it has the bottom balljoint screwed into the bottom , the driveshaft through the centre and a track rod end attached to the back end of it, it also carries ABS and pad wear wiring and the brake pipe clips on there somewhere too.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have just last week fitted a new OE hub carrier suspension arm, wheel bearing and dtrut top bearing to my daughters Synergie,

this was all in the bid to sort an on going problem were the lower swivel jaint would not tighten up, even after fitting a second hand hub and carrier,

looking at other members on here with Synergie's and pug 806's it seems the loose swivel joint is a very common fault,

Oily
these have the swivel attached to the arm not screwed into the bottom of the hub like Xants,

below is the hub carrier i bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221257829352? ... 1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

citroen are asking around £250 for that very item, we got it for £75,

i would not go that route just for a wheel bearing,

did you have any work carried out for the MOT ??????, if so did it involve unbolting the drive shaft like for a CV boot replacement

the part in your ebay link is the drive flange
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
MPV

Post by MPV »

Hi Citronut, the old thing sailed through the MOT without a fault. It was the next day the noise started. Is this the right thing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-LH-SWIV ... 337bfdf4b0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know it's a bit excessive if just a wheel bearing has gone, but I'm a bit stuck for time and also a bit worried how much longer spares will be available for my 13 year old. Also, the car has had about 3 different engines in it, so maybe the hub has been damaged at some point or another.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Looks like the right bit, but if the picture is to be believed, then it comes without the bearing or the actual hub. By the time you have added these on you will be at or above the cost of just getting a garage to replace the bearing. With a windy gun and hyd press the bearing change should be <2 hours, so not much over £120 at the garage - I would just go that route.
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you have a welder you can remove the bearing outer by running a ring of weld metal around the inside, when it cools the bearing should be quite loose and you can lever it out with a couple of screwdrivers.

Peter
Stewart(oily)

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Peter.N. wrote:If you have a welder you can remove the bearing outer by running a ring of weld metal around the inside, when it cools the bearing should be quite loose and you can lever it out with a couple of screwdrivers.

Peter
Not that double row wheel bearing unless its so bad that it falls apart anyway, a fly press is about the only way, and will be needed to press the new one in.
MPV

Post by MPV »

There's this bearing made by Bolk which is quite cheap (never heard of them, but sounds a bit German...can't find anything about them on Google though)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-SYNER ... 417446c1b9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or there's an SKF for about £40:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKF-Front-Whe ... 2c6c9ba05a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What would you go for?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

SKF - anything else will be short lived.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would just for a new bearing like this one

ebay iten No. 190769863862

its a firstline kit and there products are usually reasonably good

we payed £14 quid for the one i fitted
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Stewart(oily) wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:If you have a welder you can remove the bearing outer by running a ring of weld metal around the inside, when it cools the bearing should be quite loose and you can lever it out with a couple of screwdrivers.

Peter
Not that double row wheel bearing unless its so bad that it falls apart anyway, a fly press is about the only way, and will be needed to press the new one in.
Not a taper bearing then :oops:
MPV

Post by MPV »

Well today I fitted the rear shocks and springs I've been meaning to put on for nearly a year and at the same time I jacked up the front end to look at the bearings. When I spin the front wheels, it all sounds normal and I can't feel any play. But the noise is still there, when I turn the steering to the left there's a rumbling grinding kind of noise and I can feel vibration through the steering wheel and the brake pedal. Could it be the differential?
Stewart(oily)

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Possibly a CV joint on the way out ?