Goodbye Citroen...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hdi_man
My Cars:

Goodbye Citroen...

Post by hdi_man »

well 58 plate C5 has failed its THIRD MOT in a row now....its actually never passed an MOT without requiring work !!! :shock:

leaking suspension fluid that requires new pump, faulty injectors in engine, turbo seal gone and leaking Oil which is going into intercooler and possibly into engine!! garage have advised me to get rid of car ASAP and I have traded it for a Toyota.

the list of repairs to a car that has only just turned 5 years old is shocking and Citroen should be DISGRACED !!!! : :twisted:

- tyre pressure sensors corroded and replaced
- steering rack replaced
- rear droplinks replaced
- hydractive suspension pump replaced (under warranty in 2011 and now needs done again !!)
- 2 front electric window motors replaced
- near side wiper motor replaced
- ECU fault (fuse box replaced)
- thermometer replaced

glad to see the back of it to be honest, Citroen need to get their act together !!!!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Goodbye Citroen...

Post by Xantidote »

hdi_man wrote:glad to see the back of it to be honest, Citroen need to get their act together !!!!
Too right. Was it Mooseshaver who had problems with recent C5 which even Citroen couldn't sort out?

Your list of repairs is a disgrace to Citroen. It confirms my never buying one of the newer C5s. Can't blame you for giving up. Bet the Toyota doesn't give you this much trouble - good luck all the same
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

It was the previous shape c5 that is still sat at a Citroen Dealer after 1 year.
My 2010 Tourer is excellent.
I can understand people leaving though.
What are Toyota like out of warranty? Hyundai are awful once the 5 years is up, even when it's their dealer and in warranty work that caused the problem "valve fell out"
They are no better than Citroen.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My two early C5s have been fine and parts are cheap if you do have a problem. I don't run late cars - -to expensive.

Peter
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I would never denigrate a company after one bad car experience, it just doesn't make sense.

Surely you're not saying that only Citroen are the only manufacturer with reliability problems?

My neighbours two year old Toyota Avensis has been recalled 4 times so far and has had several parts replaced outside of recalls. so when his manufacturers warranty runs out, he is dumping it like a hot coal.

Previously, he had a Renault Laguna, and wishes he could have bought another one but they stopped UK Lagunas at the time.

I have a 2008 C5 X7 and Citroen replaced the tyre pressure sensors although the car is well out of warranty. The Citroen garage regassed the A/C free of charge and the car runs like a dream. Only done 8000 miles this year, but oh what a comfortable hassle free 8000 miles. Personally, I'd find it hard to have a go at a car without personal experience of it ,and just because one owner had picked a bad one.

Trouble is, happy owners rarely shout about it, while unlucky owners do.

No doubt, like all cars, things will eventually go wrong, but that certainly wouldn't make me get rid of it. I bought the car with a full service history and checked it as thoroughly as I could before buying.

It's not always thre age of the car, but how it is driven and maintained.

My brother-in -law has a Honda Accord estate which has had a list of repairs that would make the OP,s problems seem trivial.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The older ones usually have had the faults ironed out and if they have reached 200k and are still on the road and running well, for the price you pay you can't possibly loose. 8-)

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

hdi_man wrote:well 58 plate C5 has failed its THIRD MOT in a row now....its actually never passed an MOT without requiring work !!! :shock:

leaking suspension fluid that requires new pump, faulty injectors in engine, turbo seal gone and leaking Oil which is going into intercooler and possibly into engine!! garage have advised me to get rid of car ASAP and I have traded it for a Toyota.

the list of repairs to a car that has only just turned 5 years old is shocking and Citroen should be DISGRACED !!!! : :twisted:

- tyre pressure sensors corroded and replaced
- steering rack replaced
- rear droplinks replaced
- hydractive suspension pump replaced (under warranty in 2011 and now needs done again !!)
- 2 front electric window motors replaced
- near side wiper motor replaced
- ECU fault (fuse box replaced)
- thermometer replaced

glad to see the back of it to be honest, Citroen need to get their act together !!!!
With all those engine issues, I bet it was a 1.6 HDi 16v Ford/PSA engine?!????
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
hdi_man
My Cars:

Post by hdi_man »

No it was the 2.0 hdi 138bhp!
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Wow, OK.. Thats not what I wanted to hear... oh dear..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I agree, try not to tarnish your expectations of Citroen with your C5 experience, it does sound like a particularily bad example. There are many about and while problems with the C5III have been well reported on the net they can't all be bad and on the whole Citroen as a brand are no better or worse than others. You certainly don't have to dig very far to find faulty Toyotas.

I also agree with Peter, I have stuck to buying older/cheaper cars and if I were to by something more up to date for good money then it would have to be brand new or very nearly new. The thought of spending something like £10-12K on a car only for it to have serious issues and me have no warranty does put me off. I can see why cars depreciate a lot after they are 3 years old and level out a bit later on, its for that very reason.

As for it being a 2.0HDi 138, you don't actually list any engine problems so it has no bearing on what engine it was. That engine is a very good unit, going by the reliability of modern diesels.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Agreed the 138 bhp 2 litre is prooving great.. and no there was no mention of engine issues. Im just not likeing the 1.6 16v fraud/psa unit..

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm a believer in bad luck; there are plenty of events where the culprit may be found looking at you from the mirror, but some things come down to statistical frequency!

Too much shaving of the margins in manufacture of items like the tyre pressure sensors - a weak item across a few marques. Add road salt, outdoor parking, dog's p**s, undried filling air and you have something destined to an early failure... Similar blights mark stuff like AC condensers, and the choice of design/polymer for door glass lifting clips is a sorry tale.

I'd not own a C5; there is no benefit other than newness in a country of salted roads, that outweighs its cost risks.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

My C5 is 12 years old and has done nearly 200k, no rust yet 8-)

Peter
coastline taxis

Post by coastline taxis »

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. we run a fleet of mk 1 and 11 c5s and they are great. The problems with new cars is that they have to meet new emmision laws and the only way they can do it is to reduce the weight. So they have to cut corners which comes at the cost of reliability. Could you post the reg of the car (if thats legal and possible) so members could avoid it as it will turn up for resale.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Citroenmad wrote: You certainly don't have to dig very far to find faulty Toyotas.
Our daughter and son-in-law's Corolla Verso D4D 180 suffered engine failure only a few months after they'd bought it (6 years old). Toyota did provide a new half engine, but the local Toyota dealer seemed to have used it as a training exercise for junior mechanic. Gear change horrible afterwards, loads of hassle (30+ mile round trip) and extra expense and it's never been the same car since. Apparently porous blocks are a common problem with the 180PS engine.

Every manufacturer manages to produce both bad model (variants) and odd rogue cars. However, t'internet makes it much easier to research common problems in any particular model (variant) before purchase. A lot of boring grind, but a sensible precaution that can save thousands.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)