2003 Berlingo steering fluid leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

monsieur jeune
New User

2003 Berlingo steering fluid leak

Post by monsieur jeune »

Hi all. I've had my 2003 1.4 petrol (facelift) Berlingo for 7years/60k miles. It's great apart from one thing - it's leaked steering fluid since I've had it. Apart from it being a bore having to top up the fluid (approx a litre every 15k miles) it affects the steering which wobbles round longer corners. So far three garages have looked at it and replaced the rack, the PAS ram, and some pipework which cost more than £60 just for parts (spot the non-mechanic :) ) Despite this, it's never been right. I've heard "they all do that sir" but can't believe the problem's not fixable?! Any thoughts/ideas welcome! Cheers Robert
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've got a 1.4 Blingo with 242K on the clock and it doesn't leak; not oil, not PAS fluid.

Something's not being sorted properly; you're experiencing "reactive" repair works rather than proper diagnosis.

Were the parts replaced, replaced by genuine new items, pattern parts or used ones?
monsieur jeune
New User

Re: 2003 Berlingo steering fluid leak

Post by monsieur jeune »

All the replacement parts were genuine and new alright, but I'm sure you're right. No one seems to have been able to say why these parts failed. I've heard it's a problem most associated with '03 cars and I know from sourcing bits for mine that there were plenty of different steering set-ups for these cars with different length rams particularly. That's why I hope that someone's got to the bottom of the cause!