Wipers work at random while parked

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

orchard33
My Cars:

Wipers work at random while parked

Post by orchard33 »

My C5 1.6hdi Estate has developed a curious fault, being that the front windscreen wipers start to operate at random while the car is stationary, locked and alarm set (ie. immobilised). When the car has been parked for a while inevitably the battery becomes flat. On one occasion the alarm activated while the wipers were working intermittently but I'm unsure if this was due to external interference. Prior to my ownership the car had a new heater matrix fitted so was concerned if the wiring had been disturbed but all appears to be intact. I have reset the BSI but the problem remains. Any suggestions would be most welcome - am getting tired of disconnecting the battery when parking for some time !!!
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Wipers work at random while parked

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

if it is multiplex it has probably got a brain malfunction/ECU gremlin/glitch,
in witch whoooops i mean which case it will probably be best to get a DIS-LEXIA plugged up it

view the link below to find a member on here with a DIS-LEXIA willing to aim it at your car

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Isn't there some faulty stalk thing that causes weird faults?

If the car is an X7, then I've noticed my wipers are sometimes "deployed" when the car is locked. They have been found up the side of the pillars although I can never remember them staying like that with the car running. Might be something to do with auto wipe.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

The deployed is for changing the wipers. You push down on the stalk once when ignition is turned off.
My c3 I had would often have the wipers up when I came back to it so I always assumed either I caught the stalk on exit or multiplex gremlins.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
orchard33
My Cars:

Post by orchard33 »

Hi Malcolm and thanks! Shame Leicestershire seems devoid of dis-Lexia-ics! but will pursue with nearest. Local stealer quotes £102+vat for a readout, reckons it could be BSI £5/600ist, or comms unit £2/300. Reckons a new battery may help but doubts that is the cause of the problems. Since removing the wipers fuse other myteries unfold. Headlights flashing, hazard lights, etc. Have just chanced taking it for a run and I think about every bulb on the car started flashing while on the move. Previously all problems were when parked. Upon stopping the engine wouldn't restart without jumpstart assistance, then gingerly limped home impersonating a Blackpool tram......

Thanks also to qprdude and mooseshaver re the "deployed" wiper mode, am looking at this but feel the problem's now more advanced than just the wipers.... seems there's a lot more to learn about the C5 .... keep looking at the old xantia with increasing affection .... :-(
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

hi orchard33 if its any use to you im going to mallory park on sunday i could put the lexia in the boot a have a session after let me know if its any use to you
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
orchard33
My Cars:

Post by orchard33 »

many thanks oneday - hope you have picked up my message and look forward to seeing you at mallory tomorrow
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

will give you a ring on the number you sent me later.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

On the x7, when the car is switched off you can bring the wipers up into the vertical position by flicking the wiper stalk. Make it easier for changing the wiper blade. Found out by accident when hitting the stalk getting out one day. :oops:

Brian
09 C5 Exclusive
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

orchard33 wrote:My C5 1.6hdi Estate has developed a curious fault, being that the front windscreen wipers start to operate at random while the car is stationary, locked and alarm set (ie. immobilised). When the car has been parked for a while inevitably the battery becomes flat. On one occasion the alarm activated while the wipers were working intermittently but I'm unsure if this was due to external interference. Prior to my ownership the car had a new heater matrix fitted so was concerned if the wiring had been disturbed but all appears to be intact. I have reset the BSI but the problem remains. Any suggestions would be most welcome - am getting tired of disconnecting the battery when parking for some time !!!

Just noticed the bit about disconnecting the battery. Is it possible that this is contributing to your problems? There is a procedure for doing this, to avoid losing info and causing errors.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

BrianM wrote:On the x7, when the car is switched off you can bring the wipers up into the vertical position by flicking the wiper stalk. Make it easier for changing the wiper blade. Found out by accident when hitting the stalk getting out one day. :oops:

Brian
09 C5 Exclusive
See reply number 3 (mooseshaver) :oops:
Rick.

orchard33
My Cars:

Post by orchard33 »

Many thanks for comments and apologies for delay in update. Particular thanks to oneday for Lexia hookup and pleasant afternoon watching vintage racing at Mallory. Lexia came up with 500+ faults(!) but the opinion was that the problem lay within the comms unit. Took car to Graeme at Bradford intending to have a refurb unit fitted. Was checked and politely told there was no problem. Being the facelift C5 with a comms 2003 unit as opposed to the earlier comms 2000, said to be much more reliable than the older version. Thoughts turned to battery performance. Battery was showing 'clear' on the indicator so attempted to charge it twice. It stayed on 'clear' so took it to local tyre/battery place who reckoned it was ok. Without further attention, a few days later, the indicator went back to 'green'. Apart from the car locking itself at random with the key in the ignition, it behaved ok for a few weeks. Until.... didn't like starting from cold. Quite a few short turns of the ignition eventually got the engine to splutter into life. Longer cranking of the ignition didn't bring the engine to life. Restarting the engine through the day gave no problem. And then.... a few days ago the suspension became stuck in 'normal' mode. The dash display shows faulty, do not exceed 50klm/hr and the suspension height selector is unresponsive. On the road the ride height indicator flashes continuously. Perhaps interestingly, the cold starting fault has disappeared. When unlocking the car there is no reaction to height adjustment either before or after starting the engine. Fuses are ok. Have looked for the LDS level in the reservoir but the funnel appears to be dry, ie., no trace of oil at the bottom of the funnel. Am loathe simply to add fluid as obviously I'm unable to get the car into 'low' mode. Seems the C5 is much less user friendly than my old xantias, hydraulics wise. Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome. Thanks, Graham.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

orchard33 wrote:Many thanks for comments and apologies for delay in update. Particular thanks to oneday for Lexia hookup and pleasant afternoon watching vintage racing at Mallory. Lexia came up with 500+ faults(!) but the opinion was that the problem lay within the comms unit. Took car to Graeme at Bradford intending to have a refurb unit fitted.
Sorry to jump in on the thread, but can you tell me who Graeme is and how I can contact him? I fear I need a new or refurb Comm for the Berlingo.

Thanks!

My C5 Mk1 wipers also behave oddly when parked. No idea why!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
orchard33
My Cars:

Post by orchard33 »

Hi Mike, will look out his number and send via message. Good Luck!