Cooling fan runs after engine stopped

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

Cooling fan runs after engine stopped

Post by johntom »

Hi
The car is a 2005, 307 1.6 hdi and sometimes the coming fan runs at full speed after stopping the car ? I haven't noticed a pattern to when but the temperature gauge only ever gets to 80degs. I have seen posts about the Dpf trying to regenerate and failed heater plugs etc but unsure which it is. I have peugeot planet, there aren't any fault codes or dpf messages etc. how do I know if the additive is low or if its the plugs?
Thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Cooling fan runs after engine stopped

Post by Peter.N. »

If the engine temperature rises above normal when you stop due to 'spirited' driving I think the fans will start up to bring it down.

Peter
dyte2004

Post by dyte2004 »

i have had lots of cars that do the same, as you turn off the motor after a long trip or as said you have driven hard for a bit the engine coolant temp will if fact rise as it looses the cooling action of the water pump and pushed air from driving triggering the fan to come on, most cars have warning stickers next to the fan stating WARNING FAN CAN COME ON EVEN WITH ENGINE OFF,or something along these lines.
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
Just normal driving and the gauge doesn't go above 80 degrees.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

80 is about normal. Fan will come on at 90 (or all the time if AC is on)

It will come on after stopping as that coolant is not being circulated now so the temp in the block will rise a bit and capillary action may well mean it reaches the sensor in the head for the fan.

You could double check you have no airlocks by bleeding it although it does not really sound as if there is much amiss.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

If the car is a 110bhp model and has a DPF (particulate filter) it could be doing a regen.

Planet should tell you when the regen last occurred, state of the DPF and additive level, and can also check relays and fans to ensure they're switching OK.

If the plugs and relay are faulty you should get a P1351 error. When were the plugs last changed and are the relay connections in a good clean condition? No error doesn't always mean the fault is fine.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
Yes the car is a 110bhp, i think it has a Dpf, it has the thick down pipe inside the heat sheild with 2 small pipes screwed into it?
I don't know if the plugs have been done as we have only recently got it. Mileage is only 69k and the fan goes at full speed for several minutes when it runs on after switch off.
Where is the fan relay located so I can check the connections first?
Thanks
spider

Post by spider »

If its got the probes in the exhaust "cat" area its got a DPF.

Fan relays I *think* are behind front panel area, there may be three relays. Remember live all the time so fans + fingers = bad news.
Andy.

johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
Is the cat under the car or behind the heat shield at the front and where will the fluid reservoir be?
Thanks again
spider

Post by spider »

Yes to cat / DPF.

The fluid reservoir is at the back next to the fuel tank or very nearby, its quite small though.

Caution: Do not get any fluid on you, gloves / goggles etc recommended its not very pleasant stuff at all.
Andy.

Gibbo_Wirral

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

johntom wrote:Hi
Yes the car is a 110bhp, i think it has a Dpf, it has the thick down pipe inside the heat sheild with 2 small pipes screwed into it?
I don't know if the plugs have been done as we have only recently got it. Mileage is only 69k and the fan goes at full speed for several minutes when it runs on after switch off.
Where is the fan relay located so I can check the connections first?
Thanks
If you've no history of when they were done I'd get them changed. Your car is coming up to the time (or mileage) when the DPF system will need a bit of TLC - topping up of the additive, pressure washing the DPF, or replacing if you're feeling flush. Especially if the previous owner used it as a local runaround. A few local 307 owners to me with DPF problems have used CATS 2 U for a replacement DPF.

http://www.cats2u.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The relays are under the bumper. You can get to them by unscrewing the bolts by the bonnet slam panel, and pull it up just enough to get your hand in.

As you have Planet, what are the DPF parameters showing, and have you done a relay and fan test? Do they click and does the fan go on and off when tested?
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
johntom

Post by johntom »

gibbo_wirral wrote: relays are under the bumper. You can get to them by unscrewing the bolts by the bonnet slam panel, and pull it up just enough to get your hand in.
Is it 1 unit under the panel with a thermal fuse and a wire coil, or should there be conventional relays?
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
I have connected it to planet and got a load of codes from the engine ecu. Please see my post '307 1.6 hdi hesitation'
How do I test the fan relay, couldn't find an actuator test facility, only 'diesel engine cooling with aircon' which led me to find the following P2032, P2127, P2124, P0122, P1471, P0098, P0104 and ADDG02 'diesel tank cap'
Gibbo_Wirral

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

Its definitely there in Planet.
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
Found 'actuator test' both fan speed relays are ok.
Tried to test the additive pump it said 'operation not possible' ?