Ignition switch dismantling - it can be done!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DeafOldFart

Ignition switch dismantling - it can be done!

Post by DeafOldFart »

On my HDi xantia 2.0 I had issues with suspect supply to starter. So here's a quick run through of the check and fix.
Battery earth off, column shrouds off, key detector ring off. Cable armour off. Unplug 3 pairs from switch - easier if lower panel off to separate connectors.
Remove lock securing screw from front of housing, insert key, press on the pegs in the slot while turning key, pegs retract and lock assembly comes out.
Carefully pass the leads and connectors through the housing, they catch... a bit of rotation helps.
Now you have the lock and switch assembly clear, unscrew the small screw holding the lock to the frame and slide the lock far enough to allow the plastic switch to be slid along and removed. Put the metal bits somewhere safe!
The top cover of the switch assembly is held by small tabs.. ease them off while lifting the cover a very short distance. There is a peg passing from the cover through the centre electrical terminal, it can be stiff and is fragile. As the top cover is removed, keeping it straight, the rear section can be eased away from the lower section and all the innards are revealed. NOTE the orientation of the triangular contact piece! DON'T lose the spring...
Check for arcing.. if the contacts are severely burnt, they can be gently sanded or filed smooth. Too much metal loss means a bit of a mod to the contacts, and possible surgery on the plastic moulding.
Take time checking for any melting or distortion of the plastic... the shaped sections lift the contact triangle away from the contacts while moving across the positions.
A weak point is the centre terminal peg, on the cover. It prevents the metal terminal from sliding away from the spring loaded contact piece. My cure was superglue to secure the terminal in the body. Don't forget to clean the contact areas after the glue has set, it can varnish the contacts.
You did take pictures, didn't you??
Reassembly is a bit of a faff... it is a Chinese puzzle! Just be gentle, please... with care, everything goes together and the top cover is then added. Before closing the cover all the way, check for operation!
When replacing the switch in the metal body, make sure the lock lines up with the switch. Again, check before replacing!
Just because you can't see it, don't mean it ain't there..... if it floats, flies or fornicates ,you are better off renting