Curious codes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Curious codes

Post by Eddie Nuff »

A couple of weeks ago my Xantia died on the motorway, lights galore and no power. Switched off, switched on, all lights gone, engine fine - you would never have known. Today it went in for the air con doing, whilst it was there the son-in-law plugged it into the computer and found a number of fault codes.

PO380 - Pre Heating Relay Circuit
P1112 - Fuel Rail Pressure
PO201 to PO204 - Injector Circuit

He cleared the codes and took it for a drive and the reconnected it to the computer to find that only the Injector Circuit codes were present. This would suggest that all the injectors were faulty or, at least, there is a wiring fault within it. The problem I have with this is that the engine is faultless. No starting, running or power problems - it shows how much it's been looked after that with nearly 200k on the clock the engine is like silk.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what may be happening here?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Curious codes

Post by CitroJim »

I'd rather see what a Lexia says Eddie. I assume given the P codes that a generic scanner was used to glen these. They are not always 100% genuine in what they say..

Often a Lexia will be a tad more verbose, clearer and more helpful...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Very much agree that a Lexia would be more informed, but as it only went in for the air con doing, and I never knew it had any faults, a freebie is a freebie.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Bring her over neil for a ride and a lexia..

But firstly. I wouldnt worry too much about the heater plug cuircuit.. mines never had any plugs in it and as long as she starts its fine..

Injector cuircuit fault.. hmmmm not heard of that one yet. Be interesting to see what lexia has to say.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The HDi only needs heater plugs to assist starting when the brass monkeys are shivering..

They do however come on for post-heating even when ambient is quite balmy so it's a good idea to make sure they're good and healthy as they do assist cold running immediate post-start...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

My first thoughts on seeing the fault codes with all of the injectors combined with a fuel rail pressure fault would be a double relay fault. This provides the power supply to the injectors and the low pressure fuel pump. There is no fault detection for the low pressure pump itself but irregularities can be picked up by the fuel rail pressure sensor if it sees a reading it's not expecting to see which would happen if the power was cut to the pump whilst it was running.
Just initial thoughts would need to do a bit more investigation first but that could be a bit of a problem if the fault has only happened once.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Although there may be a glitch in the system, there's nothing to suggest that the codes thrown up are correct. The engine is faultless and does exactly what it says on the tin.

A session on a Lexia wouldn't hurt though - I'm gonna have to get one.

And the air con is gorgeous. :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

Eddie Nuff wrote: A session on a Lexia wouldn't hurt though - I'm gonna have to get one.
Northern_Mike has one on offer in the For Sale area Eddie :wink:

Aircons are bloody wonderful these days :-D
Jim

Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Thanks Jim, will have a look.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re:

Post by wheeler »

Eddie Nuff wrote:Although there may be a glitch in the system, there's nothing to suggest that the codes thrown up are correct. The engine is faultless and does exactly what it says on the tin.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your first post but I read that the engine died & lost power ? Clearly there is a fault & I'd say the fuel pressure & injector faults could easily be relevant to the problem.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

I would agree that there is a fault somewhere but I don't buy the idea that all four injectors are faulty.
When I can find the time I'll get it onto someone's Lexia.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

I agree with you aswell Neil, Ive a 2.0i 8v and Ive never yet to have an injector problem at 253k...

What ever happened, as long as the Management light came on the fault will be stored and can be read out later.
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I also highly doubt the injectors are faulty, the fault codes say injector circuit. That to me says there is a fault on the injector circuit, the fact there is a fault code relating to all 4 suggests to me that they lost their power supply to log that fault. Just because a fault code reader or Lexia mention a component does not necessarily mean the component is faulty. If you start thinking like that you will empty your wallet very quickly.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Could it be the needle lift sensor on injector #3?
Bad connection possibly.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Not on a hdi steve.... :wink: