Changing brake discs by pair only

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zibizibi

Changing brake discs by pair only

Post by zibizibi »

Hi everyone,

After servicing I've been told that one of the front brake discs is heavily rusty on the inner side, and one front coil spring is broken. I'm told that I must replaced both left and right front brake discs, not just the one that is problematic, and same with coil springs: I must replace both sides.

Why both sides? Is it absolutely necessary?
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Changing brake discs by pair only

Post by Stewart(oily) »

So that the braking and suspension characteristics match.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Having uneven braking or spring rate either side of the vehicle would make for some very entertaining driving... :twisted:

And to be honest if they've got to the point of corroding heavily it's probably about time for a new pair of brake discs anyway.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Agreed. Getting a good balance between left and right brakes can be hard enough without having a new disc on one side and an old one on the other! Balance of left and right front brakes is absolutely critical for safety if you want to be able to brake hard in a straight line...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

zibizibi wrote:Hi everyone,

After servicing I've been told that one of the front brake discs is heavily rusty on the inner side, and one front coil spring is broken. I'm told that I must replaced both left and right front brake discs, not just the one that is problematic, and same with coil springs: I must replace both sides.

Why both sides? Is it absolutely necessary?
The brakes - Yes. Definitely.

The springs - no. This is a myth perpetuated by garage owners and parts sellers to part you from your cash. A spring either works or it doesn't. The spring rates don't "deteriorate over time".

If it were a knackered damper, I'd say yes, change in pairs. Not springs though.

I changed one front spring with DickieG on my Berlingo last year. It's been perfectly ok with no change in driving characteristics at all.
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Rust on one side of one disc would indicate a sticky caliper which should be checked out and attended to before you start changing discs. They may or may not need changing but if the cause of the lack of wear isn't attended to you will have the same problem in a matter of weeks or months. I would suggest you have them looked at by someone with no financial interest in the job before you proceed.
Check out the price of a pair of discs from a local motor factor, the mark up some garages put on parts can be eyewatering, likewise the spring.
I don't know what car you have but for my HDI Xantia a pair of new front discs are £60-£90 depending on quality, from GSF.
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I think the issue with springs is that they may end up being different lengths if one has been used and compressed a billion times, compared to one that hasn't been used at all yet. I'm not certain so I'd gladly be wrong on that one.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Changing both discs is the ideal - but I have several odd discs in my garage :oops:
zibizibi

Post by zibizibi »

Thanks guys for the input.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Brake discs yes.

Springs? debatable. Interesting tgat a garage will recommend changing both springs if one is broken, but only if you're paying!! If the job is under warranty, they wil seldom offer to change a perfectly good spring.
Springs of course, will never shorten, even if they are on the car for a hundred years. It's also a moot point about the good spring needing to be replaced because it has the same wear as the broken one. For one thing, unless you have had the car from new, how do you know when springs have been changed, and secondly nearside and offside springs will almost certainly never be subject to the same stresses and loads. They are under limited working stress during a 400 mile motorway trip, and each side is under totally different stress during urban driving. There is no reason therefore, to discard a perfectly good spring, other than to line the pockets of manufacturers and fitters. Spring steel has a tremendous lifespan, unless subjected to extreme heat.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Or replace your springs with a car with proper suspension :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool