Timing Belt XUD---nearly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Timing Belt XUD---nearly

Post by Gregg1100 »

Made a start to do the timing belt on my S2 Xantia 1.9 TD.
Got as far as trying to take the covers off the timing belt, couldn't see any more bolts- the bloke I had do the auxiliary belt had knackered up the square hole, so had to turn the engine over slowly and lever the belt off. I then couldn't get the crank pulley off without having to make up a puller.
It was at this stage I was pissed off with the whole job, said f**k it, and put the lot back together. The car can sit there and rot. I can no longer physically do this type of work.

The lunatic who designed (???????) the inbuilt purgatory which is unnecessary inaccessible service parts replacement should be impaled on the blunt end of a giant cactus.

For the sake of 2 inches clearance, right shaft 2" longer, left shaft 2" shorter- or have the right engine mount bodywork unboltable would make fitters lives more bearable.
Also , it wouldn't cost Johnny Citro so much in warranty repairs.
Bearing in mind that this car has not been used for 2 years now- in the previous year, it has had a clutch fitted, (not by me), radiator, alternator(both by me), battery and new rear discs and pads(by me- since June)- about £500 all in. New MOT as well. How much is it now worth? Probably one step up from naff all.
Whinge over, going to bed- thoroughly hacked off.
Better have a good nightcap to help me sleep, first.

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Timing Belt XUD---nearly

Post by Stewart(oily) »

You are probably searching for the "Bugger at the back" this bolt has easily taken me anything up to 45 minutes to remove, there was a small pile of them at the back of my garage, I fondly remember the wire over centre clips and flexible plastic covers of the older iterations of the XUD. :) CHIN UP AND KEEP SMILING :)
If it was easy anyone could do it :)
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Gregg
all the work gone into this car you are very nearly there,

i would suggest go back at it refreshed with a clear head/mind,

go slowly at it,

there is one bolt down the back of the top cover with its head facing the bulkhead,
if you havent already it makes it easier to remove the turbo ducting pipes that go down the back of the engine,

an 11mm ratchet ring spanner is best for this bolt,

otherwise if you have a 1/4 drive ratchet with a short 11mm socket,

these cam belts really arnt that difficult, apart from sometimes bits get stuck,

but you have had the crank pulley off already so thats half the battle

just plod along gently if the car is not in the way of anything, and does not have to go back together in one day,

just go at it in little stages and you will be surprised how quick it will be finished

stick in there bud you know it makes sence
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Having done it I can only say .........never again :lol:
Like trying to get size 11 feet into size 9 shoes.
Cotal Tunt of an "operation?"

best get one of the boys to do for a few quid :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have replaced a number of these belts over the years and have to say its not the easiest job in the world but the difficulty has been compounded on the Hdi engines by the location of that 'last bolt' at the back, took me nearly as long to remove that as do the rest of the job and I broke the cover doing it :oops:

Apart form that the only other real problem is the crankshaft pulley, but that's easy if you know how, put a large spanner or socket with a long bar on the bolt with the end resting on the ground towards the front of the engine and then just 'blip' the starter enough times to undo it it. Its the only way I have been able to remove it as its so tight that even if you put it in gear the clutch slips. Even locking the crankshaft doesn't always help as you can't always exert enough force to move it.

Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The back bolt on an HDi is easy - 10mm ratchet spanner, and you can whizz it out from over the top - mind you, putting thread lock on them so that you have to spanner them all the way was not helpful. The one on the XUD, especially later cars with the bolt on turbo pipe, is dire. And making it a different size to all the rest was a work of pure genius!! :lol: I have seen a picture of the offending bolt on a LHD drive car and it can be accessed (and even SEEN!) from below without the steering gear in the way.

These trials on a 100k service item are as nothing compared to the dogs breakfast that is the air, fuel, and particularly pollen, filters on the 1.6 HDi C4 Picasso (mind you that is easier than the C4 car which requires removing the wipers and scuttle sound deadening to get at the air and fuel filters :twisted: ). But even that pales into insignificance compared to the post Lighty put up re a Megane where it is necessary to remove the CLUTCH pedal in order to change the pollen filter. Now that IS bonkers!!
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My problem wasn't so much removing the bolt as finding it, it feels to far away from the cover to belong to it, had to resort to lights and mirrors eventually.

Peter
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Getting the crank bolt undone was easy- been cranking starter to do that for nearly 50 years. One thing the early Xants had in their favour- not so much electrical crap hung on them as on the S2. A mechanical auxiliary belt tensioner was always easier than the chuffing great spring affair that is the auto type. WHY ?????. Not necessary or wanted. Junk
I will be putting the car up for sale ---don't need a car at all now. Taxis do me fine---no tax, insurance, mot or servicing costs. Plus a 10 minute daily bus service works for me too, lol. Anything heavy, I get delivered or son to pick up.
Cars really p**s me off now

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Lexi----how many quid??? lol
The bloke I have asked to do work on my cars in the past, has unfortunately broken his arm in a motorcycle trails riding accident, and he wanted £140 to do belt + a bit more to change water pump.

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Gregg1100 wrote:Getting the crank bolt undone was easy- been cranking starter to do that for nearly 50 years. One thing the early Xants had in their favour- not so much electrical crap hung on them as on the S2. A mechanical auxiliary belt tensioner was always easier than the chuffing great spring affair that is the auto type. WHY ?????. Not necessary or wanted. Junk
I will be putting the car up for sale ---don't need a car at all now. Taxis do me fine---no tax, insurance, mot or servicing costs. Plus a 10 minute daily bus service works for me too, lol. Anything heavy, I get delivered or son to pick up.
Cars really p**s me off now
That is a good rant Greg.........very enjoyable and I bet you feel a lot better :lol:

If I didn't need them I would be the same.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2