Limp mode on a C5 2.2HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aramsay
My Cars: '02 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2HDi
'97 Citroen XM VSX 2.1TD
'63 Hillman Imp.....

Limp mode on a C5 2.2HDi

Post by aramsay »

Can someone list all the "faults" that can contribute to a 2.2HDi going into "limp mode" ?

I have physically removed the Particle Filter element, and had it removed from the ECU, but I am still getting an error for "Engine Additive"....I assume this is the Eolys injection tank being empty.

Anything else that can be removed to stop the darn thing going limp ??

It's an '02 C5 Estate Exclusive, and apart from the above, is a superb car, hence why I wish to persevere with the limp-mode / Anit-Pollution fault........
KevMayer
My Cars:

Re: Limp mode on a C5 2.2HDi

Post by KevMayer »

If you have a Lexia there are some references to the particulate filter which need to be removed from the configuration of the BSI.

Limp Home Mode on a 2.2 Hdi can most often be caused by a turbo overboost which is due to leaks on the vacuum system which controls the turbo's variable geometry. With no vacuum the turbo defaults to max boost. So, if you've got a vacuum leak you'll have max boost all the time and so the ECU cuts the power.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
aramsay
My Cars: '02 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2HDi
'97 Citroen XM VSX 2.1TD
'63 Hillman Imp.....

Post by aramsay »

I did find some split vacuum pipes, and after fixing there, am fairly confident there are no leaks now. My swirl valve is operating OK. (with engine off.....top of rod is up-&-to-front of car / with engine idling....rod is down-to-rear)

Do you know, if the sensor on top of the intercooler is faulty....what does the ECU interpret this as...over-boost ?? Any idea how to test this sensor ?
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Limp mode is just a knee-jerk reaction the ECU has to pretty much anything it sees going wrong with the engine management system - it does this in an attempt to prevent any additional damage happening to the car. Unfortunately the easiest way to find out what sensor/actuator/widget has gone wonky is to interrogate the ECU with a diagnostic tool (Lexia for Citroens).

If the sensor on the cooler is the MAP sensor, then if it's faulty the ECU would go into limp mode since it wouldn't know when to open the wastegate on the turbo. Unfortunately I don't know of a way you could test them apart from fitting one you know works and seeing if that clears the fault.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

If you've had the ecu mod'd properly then you shouldn't see any reference to additive at all. How was it done?
I didn't use Lexia at all to do this and had no error messages. ( I did use Lexia later, but only for curiosity really).
I don't think there is a wastegate on a diesel turbo :) , but the C5 turbo certainly is controlled by the vacuum pressure so getting rid of any leaks is definitely worthwhile.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I think you're confusing a wastegate with a dump valve there.
The wastegate is a valve often built into the turbo that opens to allow exhaust to by-pass the turbine thus restricting boost, which in this case is controlled by vacuum metered by the ECU.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

I think you're right, I'll certainly stand corrected on that one!
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.