Replacement display ECU: programming needed?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Phil16v
My Cars:

Replacement display ECU: programming needed?

Post by Phil16v »

Does the VDO display ECU (22SY451/35) for the colour display on a C5 exclusive need to be programmed to suit the car before it will work? I have a second hand unit which was working before the donor car was scrapped - a C5 2.2HDi exclusive, same as mine. I was thinking of just swapping the units over, but I don't want to do anything that can't be undone....
Citroen C5 exclusive tourer 2010 (160hp diesel)
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Replacement display ECU: programming needed?

Post by wheeler »

If its the same spec car it should be a straight swap. No immobiliser or milage issues
Phil16v
My Cars:

Post by Phil16v »

You're dead right! It worked first time. It's a good job that I play the guitar when I'm not fixing my C5. Without the fingernails on my right hand, I doubt that I would have been able to release the latches on the two square connectors. I suppose there's a special tool for the more closely manicured mechanic....
Citroen C5 exclusive tourer 2010 (160hp diesel)
aspire_helen
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.2HDi Exc SE 2001

Post by aspire_helen »

The 22SY451 does not need programming for its basic operations. However, a Lexia is needed if the donor car did not have some accessories eg multi-CD player or phone. I fitted a 22SY451 from a donor car but my car did not recognise my CD changer. I assume the donor car did not have a changer. Hence, I had to use a Lexia to add the changer again as an accessory.
Regarding the 22SY451 connectors. The 2 with the lever action (yellow and blue) are easy to remove; the 2 without (brown and black) are pigs. I snipped off the locking tabs for ease of future removal. The fibre-optic connector to the Satnav unit is the easiest. I found it easiest to release the ECU and then remove the connectors one-by-one whilst manoeuvring the ECU. I also attached string to each connector to keep a track of them amongst all the other wiring behind the instruments.
aspire_helen
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.2HDi Exc SE 2001

Re 22SY451 Multi Function Display (colour screen)

Post by aspire_helen »

Phil16v - if you are still there ??? Did your original 22SY451 fail, if so what were the symptoms and at what age/mileage? Is the replacement still working?

Just some supplementary info to help others. The 22SY451 has 5 connectors, but only one is needed for most functions - the yellow one. They are:
Yellow (26pin) - all basic functions (specifically, everything but those below).
Brown (6pin, only 3 used) - Sat Nav audio functions eg voice directions. Can be left disconnected.
Blue (12pin, only 2 used) - Composite video to RCA connectors in glove box (to playback video through the screen)
Black (6 pin, only 3 used) - Composite audio to RCA connectors above.
Fibre-optic (2 channel) - Sat Nav connection (can be left disconnected, but no sat nav functions).
Personally, I leave the blue and black ones disconnected as I dont habitually playback video through the screen, who does?? Besides, they are pigs to connect.