306 hdi glow plug light not lighting up

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

306 hdi glow plug light not lighting up

Post by Welshy_Pete »

My Peugeot 306 hdi 1999 during the winter and cold times the glow plug light used to come on. But since the weather warmed up I've not seen it on for awhile now.

The car starts and drives fine no problems. I was thinking the same why the light stopped coming on maybe the warmer weather.

I worked out today why the glow plug light wasn't coming on anymore. It had nothing to do with the warm weather.

I checked the bulb in the dash it was fine. There just afew screws holding the dash dials in place. So then I checked the relay at the back of the battery below the ecu and black box.

I removed the 10mm nut to remove the glow plug relay back box with green on the bottom. The connections were dirty and a bit corroded up. There 2 connections three 10mm nuts one 8mm nut. But there all on the two connections. There also a plug socket as well which I cleaned up as well. So I cleaned everything with wd40 and a wire brush. Then wd40 again after it was all clean to soak and leave on.

The glow plug light now comes on even in the warm hot weather. So the glow plug light is ment to come on. I can even hear the glow plug relay click now as well.

Last edited by Welshy_Pete on 24 Jul 2013, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Re: 306 hdi glow plug light not lighting up but fixed now

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

Good stuff. This is one of the first things I take off and clean when I pick up a new (to me) car, along with the strip of wire that goes to the plugs, and all the earth points.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
Welshy_Pete

Re: 306 hdi glow plug light not lighting up

Post by Welshy_Pete »

The problem back again its stopped lighting up again the glow plug light. I even checked the bulb a second time. Also tried 2 other glow plug relays making no difference.

The strange thing the white wire going in to the relay contact. The metal part with the thread on used to push in and out. The other 2 relays don't so it must of been broken then worked again strange then packed up after cleaning it.

I'm just wandering what else could this be the temp sensor?

Whats the black box with 2 green with relays next to the glow plug relay?

Also anymore idea's?

thanks
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

Planet diagnostic check, make sure the light is coming on and the relays checking out OK.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Its a HDi ? , its not common to see the light very often to be honest. If it did used to come on often you may have a Glowplug relay for the XUD series fitted.

I'd not be concerned if it starts very easily anyway. Reference data:
PRE-HEATING

As soon as ignition is switched on: The engine management control unit supplies the glow plugs and controls the lighting of the warning light on the instrument panel, depending on the coolant temperature.

NOTE : The warning light on the instrument panel only comes on during the pre-heating phase.

Coolant Temperature ... Approx Pre-Heating Time

-30°C ... 20 seconds
-10°C ... 5 seconds
0°C ... 0.5 seconds
+18°C ... 0 seconds (inoperative, in effect)

If the starter is not operated, when the warning light goes out, the glow plugs remain supplied for a maximum of 10 seconds.

During the starting phase, the glow plugs are supplied under the following conditions :

* The coolant temperature is below 20 degrees C
* The engine runs at more than 70 rpm for 0.2 second(s)

POST HEATING

Post-heating consists of prolonging the operation of the glow plugs for a maximum of 60 seconds from the end of the starting phase .

Parameters which will interrupt post-heating :

* Coolant temperature greater than 20 degrees C
* Flow injected greater than 35 mm3
* Engine speed above 2000 rpm
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

spider wrote:Its a HDi ? , its not common to see the light very often to be honest. If it did used to come on often you may have a Glowplug relay for the XUD series fitted.

I'd not be concerned if it starts very easily anyway. Reference data:
PRE-HEATING

As soon as ignition is switched on: The engine management control unit supplies the glow plugs and controls the lighting of the warning light on the instrument panel, depending on the coolant temperature.

NOTE : The warning light on the instrument panel only comes on during the pre-heating phase.

Coolant Temperature ... Approx Pre-Heating Time

-30°C ... 20 seconds
-10°C ... 5 seconds
0°C ... 0.5 seconds
+18°C ... 0 seconds (inoperative, in effect)

If the starter is not operated, when the warning light goes out, the glow plugs remain supplied for a maximum of 10 seconds.

During the starting phase, the glow plugs are supplied under the following conditions :

* The coolant temperature is below 20 degrees C
* The engine runs at more than 70 rpm for 0.2 second(s)

POST HEATING

Post-heating consists of prolonging the operation of the glow plugs for a maximum of 60 seconds from the end of the starting phase .

Parameters which will interrupt post-heating :

* Coolant temperature greater than 20 degrees C
* Flow injected greater than 35 mm3
* Engine speed above 2000 rpm
That's very interesting thanks. I have tried 2 different glow plug relays but the same. Also cleaned the contacts on the relays as well. I'm going to clean the contacts on the 4 glow plug connections.

The light come on yesterday in the morning. But hasn't since but then the weather has been very warm since the light stopped working.

I know the bulb fine. I do have a lexia but need to get a laptop with XP. I only have a laptop with windows 7 64bit so its a bit of a problem.

Its a 306 hdi the car starts fast like a new petrol engine as well.
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

The weather cooler now the temp dropped now. The glow plug light is now coming on so your right with the temp on the glow plug light thanks.