Water in diesel warning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

welshphil7805

Water in diesel warning

Post by welshphil7805 »

Hi all,
I have a 2001 1.6 petrol xsara picasso and everytime i turn on the ignition or start the engine i get a bleep from the dashboard and a warning message "water in diesel", but as you can see it is a petrol model.
I can erase the message and everything works ok but its just driving me mad having to reset everytime i start the engine.
Has anyone come across this fault?
I have searched the internet for a possible fix but to no avail.
I cannot find any fuel sensor or switch but i have been informed that the loom is the same as a HDI so maybe there is a redundant plug roaming somewhere in the engine bay.
Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Last edited by welshphil7805 on 17 Jul 2013, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Re: Water in diesel warning

Post by miked »

I'd be surprised if a petrol engine bay loom is the same as a diesel.

This reply probably won't help but here are my thoughts, probably way off the mark.

The warning message TEXT comes from the BSI maybe? (I'm happy to be told I'm wrong) And the BSI talks to all the other ECU's in the car, gathering fault codes and passing information. If, say the engine ECU detects a fault and the BSI is wrongly coded thinking a diesel engine is fitted, might it give the wrong message?

What is the history of the car? Any evidence parts have been changed by people who don't fully understand things? How are you erasing the fault message? Do you have a lexia or if not are you near anyone who does?

By the way, if it's a 2001 picasso, that means it's a Xsara picasso I guess, as all the other picasso's were later.
welshphil7805

Post by welshphil7805 »

Hi yes sorry its a xsara picasso. Edited now.
I clear the message by pressing bottom right hand button on the dash.
I have my own lexia but it doesnt pick up any faults on the instrument panel or sensors.
I dont have much history with this vehicle apart from servicing and recent parts fitted.I also think that maybe the dash has been swapped from a diesel model so I have aquired a secondhand instrument panel and i am tempted to swap the panel but the mileage of the old panel is unknown so i dont want a massive mileage hike if i swap it.
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

If you wait a while, there are some people here who could give more help than me.

I have a Xsara saloon, 2003 vintage and as far as I know it's similar apart from the instrument panel. I don't have a button in the car to cancel faults though.
Don't swap the panel yet, as you say the mileage is stored in two places and the dash always reports the highest.

Does your lexia show any other faults on any other ECU's which might be getting reported on the dash display wrongly?
welshphil7805

Post by welshphil7805 »

Still showing the annoying message on startup so I am going to swap instrument panels and see what happens. I even spoken to Citroen and they are at a loss as what could be the problem so I have no option but to swap panels. Hopefullly the new mileage wont be too high but as I am going to run this car into the ground I am not to bothered about high mileage readings.
I will keep you all informed just in case your interested.