Damaged outer sphere, how robust are they ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Damaged outer sphere, how robust are they ?

Post by charentejohn »

Just a general question.
I haven't had a lot of luck with spheres lately, just recieved a new front set (3) and one is damaged. Looks like it was dropped and bent the first turn of the thread. Damage to the plastic cover and missing o ring implies done before packing. Who cares send it anyway.

These look like cannonballs but are they as strong. If it is likely just the thread damage I will fit it anyway, if a drop from 1m+ onto concrete could have damaged the interior I will return it. Why accept a sub standard part (possible short life) if I don't have to.
The thought of returning this heavy object is a pain. I am still trying to return 3 other defective ones from about 3 months ago...... I am in France and can't communicate the problem, may be the same here. At the least they owe me an O ring ?
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Damaged outer sphere, how robust are they ?

Post by qprdude »

It can be a pain, but you should never accept damaged goods as you can't say later if they fail, that they were damaged on receipt. At least inform the seller of the problem before you use them
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

She'll be right mate; no worries.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks guys, I think I will take both pieces of advice.
I will let them know it was damaged and get an acknowledgment, then fix and fit it and hopefully it will be ok. If it fails within 2 years I will remind them it was damaged.
It is the front accumulator sphere, so not an individual corner one.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had one with a damaged thread, I eventually got it to go on by repeatedly screwing and unscrewing it, as far as the rest of the sphere is concerned they are very tough.

Peter
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks, I had terrible problems with Lizarte spheres having unfinished threads, details in another thread, which is why I went for Monroe which have been ok.
The damage is just to the first turn of the thread so can be filed off to allow fitting. Obviously dropped on one side of the front face of the sphere, it had the cap on as I can see the cut where it hit. This is why I think it was done before posting as the O ring is missing, if this had happened in the (badly packed) box the O ring would be in there. As it is I guess it is under some racking in the warehouse.

Luckily access to the front centre sphere is good and I think the fitting is steel anyway so should be ok to fit it into.
I hate doing anything twice (I like plug and play computer stuff) and so don't really see why I should have to fix it :( but easier than returning it. Still, turns a 10 min job into a 30 min job..............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You might do well to invest in a metric thread file.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Mine were Lizarte :(
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I was thinking of buying a file and think I might, could solve some other problems.
Since the Lizarte are rubbish manufacture (you can see I am not happy) I could keep them and use them later perhaps, but the thread would need fixing.

My usual method of fixing a dodgy larger thread is to make a 'die' of a nut with 3 or 4 slots cut in the inside to make sharp edges. Then run it up and down a few times as the slots form a slight blade edge.

Anybody know the exact thread got these so I could order a nut (or 3) for future use. Always worth doing that before fitting any of these just to be sure it is properly 'worn in'.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A nut would almost certainly have to be made. The thread is very fine for the diameter.
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Good point, I maight as a friend in the UK to search the scrapyards for me and see if he can find a steel nut, such as rear centre sphere fitting, once off the car can be used to do this.
Or as Pleiades have, a thread cutter/cleaner, but sadly they only use them and don't sell them.