Mobile Swimming Pool !!!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colinfor

Mobile Swimming Pool !!!

Post by colinfor »

[:(!] Ok not happy, got a very wet carpet. The rear right handside footwell is absolutely saturated. I have a 97 406 Exec Saloon. Even the mat sat upon the carpet is sodden. Cant feel any signs of wetness around the surrounds to the footwell. Any ideas how the water is getting in. ?
The door seal appears to be ok, perhaps felt a little squidgy at the bottom. [:(!]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Sunroof drains probably blocked. Do a search in the forums, plenty of coverage on Citroens.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Check the boot area for dampness. It's not unknown for leakage water to drain forward into the rear footwell.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I find the worst part of a problem like this is drying the car out once you've fixed the problem. I usually take out the carpets and mats and dry them indoors over a radiator. It needs to be very dry or you'll suffer misting problems, musty smells and a rusty floor before too long.
On an Exec, stripping the interior will be a long job. Perhaps you could lift the carpets, remove and dry the soundproofing and blow a fan heater under the carpet for a few hours / days. Take care not to melt / set fire to anything.
colinfor

Post by colinfor »

Cheers guys, lots of good ideas ! Having spoken with the Pug garage, they also suggested checking the spare wheel well, which turned out to be dry. I then discovered that the water was getting in from inside the door frame through a gap in the membrane between the door trim and the door itself. (Hope that makes sense) |The water was then simply running/dripping off into the footwell. Pug wanted many hours to fix it, so I set about it myself. Cleanly cut off the damaged membrane/foam along the lower part of the door and fixed a sheet of plastic to the door with a decent bead of silicon sealant. So far so good, however, no real downpours yet. Hoping not to have to lift the carpet.....!!!
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Glad you got this sorted. Do have a feel underneath the carpet though to make sure it is dry. I've rusted out floorpans in the past because of wet soundproofing.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

one more thing to check aswell on the Xantia there is a drain hole on the passanger side of the scuttle panel. This get full of leaves and the water backs up. It then seaps in through the heater / blower all over the carpet.
The easyest way of cleaning it is to remove the whell arch liner and clear out the rubbish - but be warned the water will go down your arm! and if your wearing overalls its a git! [:)]
Ross [:o)]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by colinfor</i>
I then discovered that the water was getting in from inside the door frame through a gap in the membrane between the door trim and the door itself. (Hope that makes sense)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Xantia Estates have a similar problem with the tailgate door. Water leaks in through the joint in the membrane.
colinfor

Post by colinfor »

Hi again guys, well problem was solved, until......i had Autoglass out to replace my two passenger side door glasses. All was well, I mentioned the trouble I'd had to the fitter (with my drivers rear door) and he assured me it would be ok. First rain...guess what ?
TWO wet footwells on pass side [:(!] Called Autoglass, they sent two fitters out to have a look, in the dark [:(!] messed about with some stretchy mastic and left.
Next time it rained, water still coming in [:(!] Called Autoglass again, they said they would get 2 new membranes ordered from Peugeot. They arrived, fitter turned up, managed to do the rear pass door but had the wrong membrane for the front. Another order off to Peugeot.
This has been going for about 3 weeks now and I'm getting slightly irritated at the shoddy service and/or the design of the 406 doors. Still don’t know if the door that he did fix...is fixed !!! Time to get the hose out I suppose !
[V]
Col
colinfor

Post by colinfor »

Turns out that the fitter probably did have the correct membrane for the front door after all. A colleague of mine almost tore off my rear pass side trim today. Looked in behind the trim; no membrane; no hangers for the trim mounting bolts either ! They were all laying in the shell of the door ! Worst of all this wasn't the door that they were supposed to be fixing Aaarrgghhh !!!
Checked the rear passenger door, it seems ok, but the front one hasnt been touched. You would think that the fitter would know that my car had both passenger side glasses replaced and would therefore think twice about dismantling the drivers side door !
Still waiting to hear from the Autoglass manager. When I called last week to ask which door had been done, he didn't know. What do you do ..........?