Xantia HDI check engine light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Xantia HDI check engine light

Post by Stewart(oily) »

This morning my check engine light illuminated, I was pretty much full throttle in top at 70mph or so, it remained lit for the rest of the journey though the car was running fine, after standing for a couple of hours I restarted and the light was still there, it went out after half a mile ? all fluids correct, no other symptoms.
Should I worry ?
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xantia HDI check engine light

Post by Mandrake »

Without getting the fault code read on a Lexia there's really no way to know what it is and whether its serious or minor... It could be something as simple as a blocked fuel filter.

After putting my Lexia on RichardW's Xantia HDi yesterday I'm staggered at just how many engine parameters the ECU monitors on an HDi ! :) Lots of potential things for it to get upset about...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Xantia HDI check engine light

Post by RichardW »

As it occurred under load, most likely is turbo overpressure (although that normally shuts it down to limp mode) caused by the solenoid valve not working properly, or low fuel pressure caused by blocked filter or failing LP pump. As Mandrake says, getting it on a Lexia will reveal what it's upset about. They do seem to put the light out after a short while if there is a temporary fault - mine did that after the LP pump failed. Unlike the C4 which kept the light on and beeped 'Depollution system faulty" every time it was started till we cleared the fault with the Lexia, even though the original fault (low fuel pressure caused by blocked filter) had been fixed.
Richard W