V6 owners .. question.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: V6 owners .. question.

Post by Mandrake »

I don't recall seeing that stud on mine Mike, so I think its safe to say that its not original! :lol:

I can take a picture of that area of mine tomorrow if you like so you can see what should be there... by the way I'm not sure that I like the way all those wires are exposed and not within conduit - not necessarily a problem, and there are bits of conduit on mine that are broken as well, but it is a potential chafing issue...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

AFAIK that engine mounting is only available as an assembly. When I looked into doing mine a couple of years back it was about £80 I think. I ended up being resourceful and adapted another rubber bushing to fit into the aluminium housing.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The top mount was only available as an assembly but has been NFP for about 2 years.
I have previously used a car for a long time with the bush broken like that, and not noticed any problems except perhaps a vibration at 90 MPH.
The stud is correct, but should be holding a odd brace to the manifold.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That mount is still listed - the one on the inner wing is listed as NFP:

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
00001807E3 MOUNTING BRACKT 77.28 GBP 77.28 GBP 92.74 GBP 92.74 GBP 92.74 GBP 92.74 GBP

My HDi has broken the bush in the (similar) inner wing mount. I'm looking for alternatives (not very fast mind!) to replacing the whole casting.
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hi Mike,

As promised, a couple of pictures. That stud is definitely wrong, so I'm not sure what xantia_v6 is referring to! There is nowhere for a stud to fit in mine, and although I cant tell for sure due to the angle of your picture it looks like the stud is in a hole that should just have a normal bolt. You're also missing the black bracket that goes from the engine mount to the inlet manifold, and the rubber grommet on the cable shouldn't be under the engine top cover:

Another angle:
As far as I know mine has not been tampered with, at least not in this area. :lol: Perhaps someone has swapped over the front stud and bolt and then thrown away the black bracket ? (Although I'm not sure if the tower that holds the black bracket has a normal stud within it or if it is a custom spacer)

By the way, don't get too hung up about the engine mounting. Engine mountings can look a bit dodgy and go on for years without any real symptoms. I've never needed to replace an engine mounting on any car I've owned, even though a couple have had mountings that had a bit more movement than ideal.

Put the car in drive in snow mode (which engages 3rd gear when stationary) with the handbrake on, then rev the engine a little bit (not too much) from under the bonnet and watch the movement of the engine on its mountings, that will give you an idea of how much movement there is. If its not excessive I wouldn't worry about it yet! As long as its not knocking and there isn't too much movement its still doing its job.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I've never needed to replace an engine mounting on any car I've owned,
You ain't had lumpy smelly old diesels then :-D
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd be surprised if you cannot get a press-fit bush from Sasic; they offer quite a few items.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

superloopy wrote:
xantia_v6 wrote: The stud is correct, but should be holding a odd brace to the manifold.
Whats an 'odd brace'?
Any brace designed by Citroen in my experience.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:
I've never needed to replace an engine mounting on any car I've owned,
I guess you've never owned a diesel then? I've had at least one replaced on every diesel car I've owned apart from RUNN!

Think I even did them on a Skoda 120 estelle at one point.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I replied earlier, but the post somehow got lost. the odd brace is that black bracket. The stud is correct for holding the bracket, but is in the wrong hole.

The flexibility of the rubber mount can be critical to damping engine resonance.

If the broken rubber is a bit floppy, you can twist it through 90 degrees to stiffen t up a bit.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Northern_Mike wrote: I guess you've never owned a diesel then?
Nope, and I have no intention of owning one either. :wink:

Sure, they do higher MPG and the engines can do high mileages, but that's about their only selling points IMHO.

Noisy, smelly, rough running, narrow power band, (at least the TD's) difficult to start in the cold and unsatisfying to drive, definitely not a drivers car or a car to be driven for enjoyment.

Also, the slightest smell of a diesel leak makes me feel queasy, as does filling up at the pump.

Not for me I'm afraid. I'm also a bit biased because where I come from nobody drives diesels cars, diesel is for trucks and a diesel car is considered a bit of an oddity. :lol: It's hard for me to get past that, no matter how "refined" they might become.

The only time I would consider buying one would be if I had a high mileage commute, purely as a commuting workhorse.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well said that man, not forgetting the particulates that cause most of all vehicle pollution..
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Mandrake wrote:

Sure, they do higher MPG and the engines can do high mileages, but that's about their only selling points IMHO.

Noisy, smelly, rough running, narrow power band, (at least the TD's) difficult to start in the cold and unsatisfying to drive, definitely not a drivers car or a car to be driven for enjoyment.

Also, the slightest smell of a diesel leak makes me feel queasy, as does filling up at the pump.

Not for me I'm afraid. I'm also a bit biased because where I come from nobody drives diesels cars, diesel is for trucks and a diesel car is considered a bit of an oddity. :lol: It's hard for me to get past that, no matter how "refined" they might become.

The only time I would consider buying one would be if I had a high mileage commute, purely as a commuting workhorse.
Take an HDi 110 out for a spirited drive and you'll see they are a long long way from an XUD.

I love a good drive in my HDi (although not a patch on the Activa)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:

Noisy, smelly, rough running, narrow power band, (at least the TD's) difficult to start in the cold and unsatisfying to drive,
So, you've not driven a diesel made since about 1989 then? They've changed a little since then..
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mandrake wrote:

Simon, if you ever get the chance have a go in Steve (trainman's) C6. I'd be very surprised if you didn't do a u-turn on your opinion of diesels. His first C6 was stunning, the current one - way beyond that!