Synergie Drive Belt Tensioner Pulley

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

babaton

Synergie Drive Belt Tensioner Pulley

Post by babaton »

Hi, I recently bought a synergie so this is my first post in this forum, hopefully I won't have to make too many!

My drive belt came off a month ago although both the belt and the pulleys seemed fine, I put it back on and continued drivng. The drive belt came off again when I started the car on saturday morning. The belt was shredded, down to just 3 ribs wide, also the back of the belt has been scraped away. I checked the pulleys and it looks like the tensioner pulley has gone, I'm sure there were two black pulleys there before. The tension arm must have been rubbing against the back of the belt....

I'd like to try and fit this myself but i'm not sure exactly what part I should be looking for or if it's easy to do, the space is restricted and if the engine needs to come out of the car then I'll have to take it to a mechanic. I think this is the part I need http://www.expressfactors.com/Single-Part.aspx?GID=USD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;^GBT8206^3872^DITS-EN^TENP

Also, I'm not sure there isn't more to fitting the belt than pushing back the tensioner arm and slipping the belt on.......

Thanks for any help, Kev
Sean602
Location: Roslin -yes the one with the chapel in Dan Browns book.
My Cars:

Re: Synergie Drive Belt Tensioner Pulley

Post by Sean602 »

hard to see what we are looking at in that picture

put it up on axle stands remove the wheel and the plastic wheelarch liner and its all nicely visible it can all come out without removing anything else

On the sprung tensioner there is the moving bit with a couple of small holes at the top fit the tensioner then using a long bar with a 15 mm socket push against spring till you can put a pin drill or allen key in the hole nearest the idler to lock it off. Fit the belt then release the pin and fit to second hole. Then using a 1/4" extension tighten the offset idler and lock the bolt. If you can remove the pin easily its at the proper tension.

the pictures on service citroen don't really help take a photo with your Phone before you dismantle

I did an alternator change in the GSF carpark, Doncaster on the way to a 2cvGB event it can be done through the bonnet but its a pain you might find it easier if you have someone to help with the tension while you lock it all off from below
kissing the lash
white van (turbo, computer and built by Citroen, what could possibly go wrong!)
orange 2cv
blue 2cv( been to the Sahara and back)
red Dyane( in bits)
Skoda (thank goodness there is a teutonic vehicle on the drive)
Stainless Siemens fridge freezer
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

firstly
hi and welcome to the FCF

as Sean says its hard to see the tensioner in you picy,

even though we dont need to as its a common fault,

usually the tensioner mounting/swing arm pivot bearing collapses which in turn cocks the pulley over at an angel,

the first thing i would do BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE AGAIN , is check that non of the aux belt has got into the cam belt cover/area,

as the usual is shreds of belt wind there way behind the crank pulley and under the cam belt causing it to slip/jump teeth,

to do the above you will need to remove the cam belt covers, so it pays to fit new cam belt, tensioners and water pump whilst your in there,
part of this job requires removing the top engine mout so you can raise/lower the engine to gain access to all the relevant bits,

this is also required in the process of fitting a new automatic tensioner

if you send me the last 8 digits of you chassis/VIN No. i will get you the OE part No.'s to aim at you local factors/GSF???
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
babaton

Post by babaton »

Thanks guys, useful info there. Good to know I can get at it throguh the wheel arch too. Quite a lot of the old belt had been stripped away and I was wondering where the rest had got to, also trying to work out when it had shredded as I hadn't heard anything while driving it or when starting it that saturday.

Anyway, is it possible to get the cam belt cover off without takign the engine out too?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

What engine are we talking about?
Richard W
babaton

Post by babaton »

It's a 2 litre petrol
babaton

Post by babaton »

ok, here's the vin number - VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Citronut, if you can find me the correct part numbers that'd be great, thanks, Kev
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

So there should be a roller, and a tensioner:

5751 60

01 RETRACTOR ROLLER
DIAM 78-25

5751 61

01 ALTERNATOR TENSION ROLLER

Item 5 is just bolted on through the centre, item 6 has a bolt under the front corner of the roller to secure it. Can't see how it's tensioned mind you! Should be possible to remove the cambelt cover with the engine in - you might need to remove the engine mount though....

Hmm 2 litre petrol auto Synergie - does it come with it's own petrol tanker :lol:
Richard W
babaton

Post by babaton »

Thanks, I think one of those parts is missing or broken then, I'm sure there were two rollers before. I'm going to get my mechanic to tae a look, he's got all the manuals so we should get a better idea then. Plus I'm not too sure I fancy messing with teh cam belt cover and engine mounts. I'm IT by trade and I could easily make things worse.

Is there anywhere I can get a look at those parts?

btw, yes it does get pretty thirsty!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ou you beet me to it Richard :o #-o :wink:

but here is part No. and dimensions for the bit you forgot Richard :-** \:D/ :lol: :wink:

5750 YA
DRIVE BELT ALTERNATEUR
K6 LE 1705
Regards, malcolm.

babaton

Post by babaton »

Nice one, I've already got 2 belts on the way.....

But, is this part (5751 60) - http://www.autopartoo.com/search/direct ... =575160WT8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; just the roller part of this one? (5751 61) http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/citroen/575161dkg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

babaton wrote:Nice one, I've already got 2 belts on the way.....
why two belts???

babaton wrote: But, is this part (5751 60) - http://www.autopartoo.com/search/direct ... =575160WT8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; just the roller part of this one? (5751 61) http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/citroen/575161dkg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the first one/link will be the idler and the second one the auto tensioner,

were are you located
Regards, malcolm.

babaton

Post by babaton »

Emergency belt, just in case another one snaps.

I'm in croydon,I've just been out to fit the belt and it seems too big now, I'm sure I'm putting it on the same way as before. It's def the same size as I've comared it to the knackered one. SHould have taken a picture befor, I ca't find a diagram online anywhere.

I see those two parts now having just had my head under the bonnet, I think I slotted the blt on the tensioner between the roller ad the c shaped bracket that holds it, no wonder it got scraped away! Gonna go and have another go.....
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what is the size printed on the new belt you bought,
it should be

K6 = rib's x 1705 = length

if it is routed incorrectly it can appear to long or even to short

i have sent you a pm with your vehicles characteristics with all it left the factory wearing
Regards, malcolm.

babaton

Post by babaton »

Thanks Citronut, I managed to get it on, I just had it routed the wrong way. The size is def right, 1705.

When I start the engine the belt hops over 1 rib each time, it's easy enough to slide it back over so I'll have to do that until I can get it looked at, I think I'll buy the tensioner and roller and just get them replaced.

Thanks very much for your help folks, very good forum!