So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by Northern_Mike » 06 Jul 2013, 19:38

Was up at a Citroen Indy yesterday with the Berlingo. This was there, being worked on..

Image

Image

I have never, ever seen one in the metal before. I kind of heard they existed, briefly.

User avatar
Citroening
Posts: 2512
Joined: 26 Feb 2010, 21:19
x 8

Re: So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by Citroening » 06 Jul 2013, 19:42

Very rare indeed! I think there's a couple here in the UK, one of which is in a church...

citronut
Posts: 10938
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 00:46
x 3

Re: So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by citronut » 06 Jul 2013, 21:32

Mr Platts had one and also had a spare engine under his kitchen work top

regards malcolm

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

Re: So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by CitroJim » 07 Jul 2013, 06:01

Citroening wrote:one of which is in a church...
Awaiting salvation?

Northern_Mike

Re: So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by Northern_Mike » 07 Jul 2013, 10:35

CitroJim wrote:
Citroening wrote:one of which is in a church...
Awaiting salvation?

More likely awaiting that horrid engine to be exorcised..

In all honesty I know the birotor story well. When I glanced at this and saw the rad and fans, it didn't cross my mind that it was going to be one, given I know the garage has done some interesting engine transplants in the past. Before I asked what it was, I was expecting an Alfa or Scooby transplant!

This one was apparently hidden away by a dealer in France when Citroen reclaimed them all in almost as-new condition. It was found when he died and the dealership closed. It really is like new.

User avatar
Citroening
Posts: 2512
Joined: 26 Feb 2010, 21:19
x 8

Re: So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by Citroening » 07 Jul 2013, 10:38

Waiting for what I don't know... :|

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/phototheque ... rch01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

Image

Image

Image

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Posts: 7098
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:38
x 4

So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by addo » 07 Jul 2013, 13:06

That last photo resembles a place I moonlight in! :lol:

I still cannot find any love for third front Dees.

hattershaun
Posts: 125
Joined: 29 Sep 2009, 12:12
x 1

Re: So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by hattershaun » 07 Jul 2013, 19:02

I had a Birotor in the Uk for a couple of years, 2007-2008.
It was a great car to drive with a very special driving experience.
I sold it to a Citroen enthusiast/ specialist repairer/restorer, who brought it back to the UK for Harrogate ICCCR 2012, now with new paint, retrimmed interior (in cream leather, rather than the beige cloth) & the engine bay having been detailed.

There are a couple of You Tube video clips, just search for 'Citroen Birotor'. My favourite clip is called 'Citroen GS Birotor Sets Off'. It brings back all the lovely memories.

There is another Birotor in the UK, which was at Harrogate, belongs to a chap I know well, he still rallies his white GS in proper competitions even though he's well past normal retirement age.

User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 16466
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 14:30
x 578

Re: So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by myglaren » 07 Jul 2013, 19:19

Northern_Mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
Citroening wrote:one of which is in a church...
Awaiting salvation?

More likely awaiting that horrid engine to be exorcised..

In all honesty I know the birotor story well. When I glanced at this and saw the rad and fans, it didn't cross my mind that it was going to be one, given I know the garage has done some interesting engine transplants in the past. Before I asked what it was, I was expecting an Alfa or Scooby transplant!

This one was apparently hidden away by a dealer in France when Citroen reclaimed them all in almost as-new condition. It was found when he died and the dealership closed. It really is like new.
When I first was the photo I thought WTF! (as you would) wondereing why an air cooled would want rads+fans :shock:

Took a few seconds to sink in.

Maybe an RX8 engine would fit :)

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

Re: So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by CitroJim » 07 Jul 2013, 19:47

myglaren wrote: Maybe an RX8 engine would fit :)
It very well might and might last at least twice as long as the original Comotor....

If you did fit an RX-8 motor it wouldn't half go well 8-)

Northern_Mike

Re: So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by Northern_Mike » 09 Jul 2013, 15:26

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote: Maybe an RX8 engine would fit :)
It very well might and might last at least twice as long as the original Comotor
To the supermarket AND back? That's pushing it... well you would be eventually. .

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

Re: So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by CitroJim » 10 Jul 2013, 16:42

Northern_Mike wrote:That's pushing it... well you would be eventually. .
That's why they have heated rear windows - to keep your hands warm when pushing it in the winter...

User avatar
Chris570
Posts: 1459
Joined: 12 Dec 2009, 15:10
x 5

Re: So rare it deserves a thread of it's own?

Post by Chris570 » 10 Jul 2013, 17:45

CitroJim wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote:That's pushing it... well you would be eventually. .
That's why they have heated rear windows - to keep your hands warm when pushing it in the winter...
Nah the battery was always too flat from the excessive cranking required to attempt to start them.