Noisy steering pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

2cvandy
My Cars: 2002 C5 break, 2.0HDI
1989 2CV

Noisy steering pump

Post by 2cvandy »

Hi all,
as the proud new owner of a 2002 C5 HDi Estate I have a few questions;

the car has a few niggles and having trawled through the forum I've found a few solutions,

Driver's door doesn't always unlock - found the answer on here, thanks.
Rear tailgate window doesn't open - so what? I can live without that particular feature.
Brakes squeal - can't tell if it's front or back but will strip and clean / check both just to be sure.
"4 tyre pressure sensors missing" - yeah, I can see that! Will have to get that re-programmed at some point.

But, these I may need help / advice please;

Air-con not blowing cold - the s/h says 5 years since the last re-gas so I guess that;s worth a try?

The rear tail gate stays up perfectly well 9 times out of 10, and then decides it's bored with that idea and would rather drop down while you're leaning inside the car. I can't see any obvious gas struts, are they hidden inside the roof? (I've ordered a Haynes manual, it just seems to be lost in the French postal system).

"Air-bag Fault" code every time I start up. The previous owner tells me he spent 100s of euros (we're in France) with the local Citroen agent trying to cure this and in the end they told him "ignore it, there's nothing wrong". Any suggestions?

But the most annoying fault is a squeal from the power steering pump. I'm pretty sure it's the pump because if I drip a little oil between the pump body and pulley with the engine running the noise stops, but only until it's chucked all the oil off. Well, I say it's a squeal but I've covered 500 miles this week and I reckon it's developing into more of a growl. I'm assuming there's a bearing in there to carry the pulley, anybody know if there's a re-build kit available?
Failing that, is this a common problem?
Any advice as to whether it's urgent or do they all do that and last for years?
I'm a bit reluctant to strip it just yet as my in-laws are due to visit next week and I need the car to pick them up from the airport, more importantly I definitely need it running the following week to take the mother-in-law back to her plane!

cheers.
If speed kills, buy a 2CV and live forever.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Noisy steering pump

Post by Peter.N. »

As you say most of these things are just niggles - except the tailgate, I have the same problem, the struts need replacing and are indeed behind the headlining, the Haynes manual doesn't help in this regard, refers you to your dealer. How well the tailgate stays up depends mainly on the ambient temperature, this weather it should be OK, it is also affected by the front to back angle at which the car is parked, if you push it up hard as far as it will go it will sometimes stay there.

The steering problem I can't help you with, mine hasn't gone wrong - yet, but they should be cheap enough secondhand.

The aircon will probably just need regassing but it could of course have a fault.

Air bag fault could possibly be the plug and socket arrangement under the seat.

As for tyre pressure sensors, I didn't know the Mk1 had them, I assume it must be an Exclusive.

Peter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peugeot-306-9 ... 3a81d43607" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2cvandy
1989 2CV

Post by 2cvandy »

Hi Peter,
thanks for the reply.
I've ordered a re-con pump this morning because on closer examination I can actually feel play at the pulley, which I'm taking as a bad sign!
Yeah, the car is an Exclusive, and having sort of stumbled upon it by accident last week when my long term Xantia finally bit the dust, I have to say so far I'm impressed.
The ride is much softer, allthough I find the engine slightly rougher (gruffer?) and noiseyer, though of course that could just be because of the pump being noisey.
Just had a poke around under the tail gate trim and I can see the gas rams quite clearly, it's easy enough to lever off the outer end but I can't see how it's attached at the inner end. It also appears to be boxed in so I don't think dropping the headlining would help. Looks like another trawl round the internet is called for.Might have to resort to carrying a broom handle eventually!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

After 15 years or more of XMs I find the C5 less refined in the engine department, the XM 2.1td would pull smoothly from 1000 rpm, the Hdi seems to vibrate especially around 1500 rpm, the one in the 406 does it as well only not as badly as the C5. I think perhaps the flywheel was heavier on the XM.

I drove my remaining XM yesterday, I don't see it often as my son drives it, its only here because it wants work for the MOT :roll: it left me feeling that I want another one but most of them have gone now. The C5 is better on fuel but not that much, I could get 50-55mpg from the XM on a long journey and I think the ride on the XM was better.

According to My Haynes you have to remove the headlining to access the rams but what else you have to take off I don't know.

Peter
2cvandy
1989 2CV

Post by 2cvandy »

Peter.N. wrote:
I drove my remaining XM yesterday, I don't see it often as my son drives it, its only here because it wants work for the MOT :roll:

Peter
That raised a smile,

one of the nice things (and I admit there are many) about moving to France is that my two step sons and my three sisters have all had to find somebody else to fix thier cars :-D
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There is a YouTube tutorial on the strut replacement; it is in French but visually quite effective. Easy and quick, too.
2cvandy
1989 2CV

Re:

Post by 2cvandy »

addo wrote:There is a YouTube tutorial on the strut replacement; it is in French but visually quite effective. Easy and quick, too.
Any chance of a link?

I'm guessing a search for strut replacement won't find it if it's French?

cheers
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Try some terms like verins coffre citroen c5 break
2cvandy
1989 2CV

Post by 2cvandy »

Ta for that,
in case anybody else is suffering the same problem,
here's the link.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;