Citroen C3 Petrol - intermittent stalling, rough idling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

electroaus

Citroen C3 Petrol - intermittent stalling, rough idling

Post by electroaus »

Hello

Would appreciate any info.
Last edited by electroaus on 24 Apr 2016, 15:12, edited 3 times in total.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A session with a Lexia or Diagbox will usually show more than a simple error code - making identification of the problem more straightforward.

Coil packs are a common failure item, also however check for signs of head gasket failure. The 1.4 is well known for adding engine oil to its coolant. As a first step, compression testing and checking/replacing your spark plugs is a good start.
electroaus

Re: Citroen C3 Petrol - intermittent stalling, rough idling

Post by electroaus »

I'm in Sydney too - coincidence! Lexia is on the way, just waiting for it to arrive.

Thanks for your reply.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If you need bits at fairly short notice, EAI is usually a good source. For bigger things that can wait, look overseas.
electroaus

Post by electroaus »

ok, thank you.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Sounds a bit like a faulty MAP sensor, especially the stalling.

If you disconnected the MAP sensor and it made no difference at all that actually suggests that it could be faulty (at least when the poor running symptoms are present) as disconnecting a MAP sensor will normally make a car run far worse and tend to stall. A shorted signal wire on a MAP sensor can prevent the engine from starting at all, while an open circuit signal wire will usually let the car start with difficulty but it will run poorly and tend to stall.

Air intake temperature sensor is possible but many engines (not sure about yours) have a backup air temperature sensor so both would have to be faulty to cause running problems, and coolant temperature sensor is also possible but normally would only cause the car to run badly either when cold or hot but not both.

Since you have a Lexia on the way anyway I wouldn't go replacing anything expensive until you've had a chance to give it a once over with the Lexia. Even if you don't get any fault codes that pinpoint the problem looking carefully at all the live sensor data should give some clues as to what's not working or at least let you rule out the various sensors.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
electroaus

Post by electroaus »

Thank you Mandrake for the info. Faulty MAP sensor would be great - an easy fix! I'll have a look with Lexia and see what I can find out. (: