Xantia 2.0 Excl Auto failure to start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stingraynick
My Cars:

Xantia 2.0 Excl Auto failure to start

Post by stingraynick »

Hi,

Seem to be having a run of problems with different cars over the last couple of years.... Wonder whether these symptoms mean anything to anyone...

- starter motor turns freely. But doesn't fire, almost like the code hadn't been entered but that's not relevant on my car, no immobiliser keypad

- the fuel gauge doesn't reflect the half tank I have. It did before this.

- the courtesy lights don't come on... Unless I use the indicators and they flash in time with the external indicators!

- I don't seem to have the radio/cd player

- other lights on the dash may not be getting power but I can't recall exactly what lights up or not.

Other things seem to work but I'm at a loss...! Fuses seem ok

Forgot to add, another symptom is that the remote locking no longer works. Not all doors lock off the drivers door lock either, which I thought it did if using the key.

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received.

Regards, Nick
gadgetgricey

Re: Xantia 2.0 Excl Auto failure to start

Post by gadgetgricey »

Hi there Nick.

Sounds exactly like the same problem I was having......

See thread here, but quote below sums it up nicely
Mandrake wrote:If you removed the glovebox and now your central locking isn't working (as well as the engine not starting) you might have disturbed the CPH (Texton) unit which is mounted behind the glovebox.

This controls central locking, alarm, immobiliser etc. Without this unit working the engine will not start because the CPH unlocks the engine ECU when you turn on the key with the correct transponder in it. Normally you would (on a S2) see the key warning light on the dashboard light for about half a second when you turn the key on, if you don't it also points to the CPH not working.

If you have a Lexia handy try running a diagnostic on the CPH and I bet it won't respond. If you don't have one check the wiring behind the glovebox that goes to the CPH.
As it was a breaker I never sorted it, so hope you have more luck.

Cheers

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Series 2 I presume ? Most of your symptoms point towards the CPH not working as per the above quote, although interior lights coming on with the blinkers is very unusual and suggests an earthing fault!

Is there someone nearby with a Lexia ?

I'd suggest disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to reset all the ECU's, check for earth faults, and double check all the fuses relating to central locking are ok. (There is more than one)

Failing that get a Lexia onto the car and scan the CPH. If its not responding check the wiring to it, which would involve removing the glovebox.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
stingraynick
My Cars:

Post by stingraynick »

Thanks Dave and Simon.

Yes, series 2... And I guess I'd have to buy a Lexia (some seem to be relatively cheap on ebay) to access one.

I'll see if I can get behind the glovebox and examine wiring for anything obvious and try a 'reboot' by disconnecting the power source for 15 mins. I'll recheck the fuses although I'm a bit fuzzy on electrics so regarding looking for earthing problems I assume I'm just looking t earthing connections, checking they look secure and/or disconnecting and cleaning with contact cleaner. I also assume they won't all be visible or obvious!

On the basis that its the CPH not working and somehow that is proved I assume a replacement is needed. Just had a quick google search and, blimey, £160 plus!!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards, Nick
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Did you check the updated Lexia list here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It shows h2ocooler in Gillingham as the nearest to you.

If you do end up replacing the CPH (hopefully not!) you can't put a second hand one in from a scrappy, its permanently coded to the matching engine ECU and can't be reprogrammed.

The only choices are to either get a brand new virgin never used CPH from Citroen and have it coded to your engine ECU, (which is done with a Lexia, and can only be done once) or to find a CPH from a car with an identical engine and take both the CPH and the engine ECU and the keys, so you have the matching key transponders and coded pair of ECU's.

Its unlikely the CPH itself is faulty though, I can only remember one forum posting about one that was genuinely faulty. If necessary get someone to help you go over the wiring etc as you don't want to be replacing it for no reason...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Mandrake wrote:Did you check the updated Lexia list here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It shows h2ocooler in Gillingham as the nearest to you.
Only if his Xantia can do what these can at 0:33

:lol: :D

Edherz in Colchester would be quicker to get to... or me when I'm in Gravesend (but won't be for another month) :)
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Using your superior local knowledge against me are you Ben ? :lol: :twisted:
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 »

Mandrake wrote:Using your superior local knowledge against me are you Ben ? :lol: :twisted:
Essex isn't a strong point of mine actually, though if it was its probably not something one would want to freely admit :oops: :twisted:

Nick, if you're looking to buy one, I would suggest going for one from the two places that have had multiple feed back on here.
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I wouldn't know Ben, its all "down south" to me :twisted:

In 4 years living in the UK I've never been down to England except the inside of airport terminals during connecting flights... :wink:

If my car was a bit more trustworthy for long hauls that might have been different...
Simon

1978 CX 2400
stingraynick
My Cars:

Post by stingraynick »

Thanks for the pointers on a Lexia.... and advice on replacement ... or not.

I'll see how I get on with the checking and power etc first before any hasty decisions.

Thanks, Nick

Btw, Essex isn't bad, just the fact that where I live is in a corner! Perhaps vertical take off is a mod worth considering.......
stingraynick
My Cars:

Post by stingraynick »

Hi,

I've now tried the disconnect battery/reboot and no change......

I've also checked (they were ok) but replaced anyway the three CPH related fuses listed in my manual for the cabin fuse array.

Having also followed the link given and then followed a short trail I ended up at aussiefrogs with a picture of the front cabin and the dash removed which helped visualise where I was going via the glovebox.

I then removed the glovebox and the air duct that is then revealed in the upper part of the opening and the two CPH plugs (blue/yellow) in the top part of the hole that are now revealed. Nothing obvious so far.

My problem now is that I can barely get my hands on them and it unclear how they are secured. Even if I can disconnect all I'm going to do at this stage is try and check for damage/loose wires, spray contact cleaner and reconnect.

Can anyone shed any light on how they disconnect? Don't want to just pull! Part of the "blue" socket has a red or orange part behind it that slides to the left. But the connector didn't seem to want to pull out when in that position.

Regards, Nick
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I am not convinced the CPH is non-transferable. Were it so, the breakers wouldn't sell them. There is also no note on the ECU spec's in Service Citroën saying you need a new one when fitting a virginal ECU. If someone wants to post me a used one I will try it on my car with 24 hours of receipt, then return at my expense.

The yellow plug you lift/flip the black crosspiece and it then pulls off. The black/blue one you pull the red tab sideways and as it comes out the plug disconnects spontaneously. The actual box is lightly clipped on by a plastic tongue on its base, like many sensor plugs are clipped to plastic bases.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nick,

I've sent you a PM concerning your email address... Your present one is invalid.

My belief is/was that you can only transfer a CPH if you also have the matching engine ECU and transponder module...

keys are not a problem as long as you have the confidential code for the CPH as you can train them to the CPH with a Lexia..

I believe only virgin engine ECUs and Transponders can be programmed one time only to a CPH...
That's my belief. I'm very happy to be wrong...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Got a spare one?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Got a spare one?
I did. Lent it to an erstwhile member on here and never got it back :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...