C5 - Suspension fluid level

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kettlesimon

C5 - Suspension fluid level

Post by kettlesimon »

Hi all,

I have a 2001 2.0HDi and suspect that i have a slight leak on the suspension fluid system. I noticed when the car was being MOT'd a slight dripping when the car was over the pit. This seemed to increase when the examiner was turning the steering wheel. Couple of questions,

1. Is it the same fluid resovoir that feeds the suspension and steering ?
2. How do i check the fluid level ?
3. If i need to top up, i believe it is now LDS and not LHM - am i correct ?
4. If i need to top up is there a "better" fluid to use or are they all the same ?

Also have noticed recently the odd clicking noise from the suspension, usually when reversing off the drive. Could this also be linked to low fluid level ?

I am sure someone out there wil be able to answer my questions.

Cheers

Simon Johnston
2004 C5 Estate 2.0 HDi
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 - Suspension fluid level

Post by myglaren »

kettlesimon wrote:Hi all,

I have a 2001 2.0HDi and suspect that i have a slight leak on the suspension fluid system. I noticed when the car was being MOT'd a slight dripping when the car was over the pit. This seemed to increase when the examiner was turning the steering wheel. Couple of questions,

1. Is it the same fluid resovoir that feeds the suspension and steering ?
Yes
2. How do i check the fluid level ?
In the fluid reservoir (under the cover and on the left of the engine bay) there is a kind of 'strainer'. IIRC with the car on it's lowes setting the fluid should be at the level of the top of the shortest set of slots in the 'strainer'.
3. If i need to top up, i believe it is now LDS and not LHM - am i correct ?
Yes
4. If i need to top up is there a "better" fluid to use or are they all the same ?
Total LDS is made in conjunction with Citroen and is probably the preferred one.
Dealer prices can be quite reasonable.
Comma do one that is green and rather thinner so not to be recommended.

Also have noticed recently the odd clicking noise from the suspension, usually when reversing off the drive. Could this also be linked to low fluid level ?
Highly unlikely. It could be hitting the bump stops if the ground is very uneven but if the car will rise to it's full height you have sufficient fluid for it to work as normal at normal height - I have yet to cause mine to hit the bump stops and it is not treated kindly where speed bumps are concerned.
If the car is running straight it could be the trailing arm bearings. If turning then possibly the CV joints.
I am sure someone out there wil be able to answer my questions.

Cheers

Simon Johnston