Citroen C3 Desire will not start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

katelotte
New User

Citroen C3 Desire will not start

Post by katelotte »

Hello,
I have a 2006 Citroen C3 Desire (27,000ish miles) that will not start. Last week it showed an error message on the display - Anti-Theft fault. The ignition turned but the engine would not start, we have managed to get it out of that mode by connecting and disconnecting battery terminals and locking/unlocking using the key. Now the error message is Economy Mode - the ignition still turns, but only for about 15 seconds and the radio will not switch on either. We have tried to jump start but nothing - although the battery light is flashing.

The car went into a dealership in Feb and had a service and a new battery for the exorbitant price of £475, so I am desperate not to have to take it back to the dealership.

Is there anything else I can try at home? I don't have a spare key, so I cannot try that although I did take my key to be tested and the battery and connections are fine.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Kate
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

First to try, might be charging the battery in case an electrical fault is flattening it.

Failing that, you may have a fault in either the BSM (under bonnet fuse panel; £40-ish used condition) or the BSI unit (dearer because new is usually preferable). There are a good number of members here with appropriate diagnostic kit, to potentially get you more informed about the fault - and thus what your likely costs may be.
katelotte
New User

Re:

Post by katelotte »

addo wrote:First to try, might be charging the battery in case an electrical fault is flattening it.

Failing that, you may have a fault in either the BSM (under bonnet fuse panel; £40-ish used condition) or the BSI unit (dearer because new is usually preferable). There are a good number of members here with appropriate diagnostic kit, to potentially get you more informed about the fault - and thus what your likely costs may be.
Thanks very much, will put it on an overnight charge and see if that helps to start with.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Citroen C3 Desire will not start

Post by spider »

A BSI reset may be a good idea (as you'll do this if you take the battery off anyway) > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=43292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , read carefully.

It could be the transponder aerial dying as some models (I don't know which or which batch) the wiring inside the aerial itself can tarnish resulting in intermittent concerns. Even though they are relatively cheap to replace I think its debatable if its worth replacing it anyway (new only used may be no good) as I think they are < £20 until a quick diag has been done to see what is really going on. I'd go and have a diag test first if possible then see.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Does the car turn over on the key ?, where are you situated? £475 for a battery is unbelievable, anyone with Lexia should be able to help you to some degree.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I thought that too, then I think it included a service as well. Well, I hope it did :o
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG