EML light on for a bit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

EML light on for a bit

Post by isisalar »

Right on cue just as the suspension issues have been sorted, now the injector issue is starting to develop, I think.
One of the injectors was replaced not long before I got the car and upon examination it appears to be brand new. The other 3 by comparison look like they've been in a furnace for the last 160,000 miles. Fuel consumption is very poor and sometimes it feels like it's running on 3 cylinders, when not totally hot, accelerating in a high gear. With the windows open I can hear one of them ticking away, sounds a bit like a tappet, sound disappears above 3000rpm. I am going to fit replacement injectors as soon as funds allow. Fuel system treatment and Shell V power both reduce but don't cure the symptoms.
On Friday the car went into limp mode and the EML came on. The limp mode cleared quickly but the EML remained on until yesterday when I put in some V power and then it went out.
If I can get the car on a Lexia would it say what triggered the EML, can it diagnose dodgy injectors or would a duff one trigger this?
One thought is nagging me though, one plastic clip that secures the electrical connector to the injector is broken, it seems to hold itself on ok and I can't see any arcing evidence but could this be what the ticking is? Any known fix for this?
Anyone got any cheap good injectors?
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

How's the fuel filter?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: EML light on for a bit

Post by RichardW »

The ticking noise is well known, and is due to leaky injectors screwing up the pre-injection phase - you should find the noise cuts off sharply at 3200 rpm - when the ECU cuts the pre-injection phase :lol: It's not really anything to worry about, they all do that Sir (well, odly mine doesn't, even though it is edging towards 150k). It's unlikely this is what put the EML on, you need to get it on a LEXIA to see what faults are recorded.
Richard W
isisalar
My Cars:

Re: EML light on for a bit

Post by isisalar »

Would a Lexia session be able to diagnose why the fuel consumption is so poor, about 33 on average. There's also some very strange whistling/whining noises which also disappear at around 3000rpm so are probably connected. I'm pretty sure this is not a boost leak, the intercooler pipe inflates nicely.
I've braced myself for replacing them and with all the back breaking practice I've had curing the leaks it shouldn't take too long and I've got to eliminate them from this noise issue too.
Off to consult the Lexia directory.
Cheers
Paul
Fuel filters fine Addo
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)