Power drain.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MonkeyMark

Power drain.

Post by MonkeyMark »

After £200 for mot (hand brake cable, spring, caliper) I thought my battery was dead so got another and it looks like its aactually a power drain. Really struggles to start in the morning.

Is there any common problems with the C8's or any tips on where to start?

While im at it, how do you remove the front seats as i want to check under carpet for water ingress?

Many thanks, a very frustrated man.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Power drain.

Post by Peter.N. »

You can check for abnormal drain by connecting an amp meter in series with your battery, i.e. disconnect one battery lead, connect that to the meter and connect the other lead to the battery. Anything up to 100ma can be regarded as normal, much above that you have a problem. When you connect the meter if its not auto ranging set it to the 10 amp range, make sure everything is turned off and wait for the ECU to shut down then set it to 1 amp, watch it for a minute or two as something could switch on again.

Peter
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

Thanks I'll give it a try.

Does anyone have a link to a list of what each fuse is? Can't find my book with them in. At work using phone so can't search net much right now.
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
MonkeyMark

Post by MonkeyMark »

I've been through all the fuses but it doesn't show up much power being used. Though I camy test when the alarm is on. The battery could not turn over enough ti start but shows 12.6 volts.
Could this be a sign of failing starter?
Happy(ish) C8 owner.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

The first thing I'd be looking at, even before thinking about battery drain, is the condition of the battery terminals, the leads, the connection of the battery positive lead to the starter, and the negative lead to the body shell & engine earth points. After operating the starter, do either of the battery terminals feel warm/hot?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As above, also check the battery voltage under load.

Peter
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Late last year we had a similar battery drain problem on our 807. I doubt this will help (and sorry to take the topic off post) but to cut the story short:

Wife can't start the car before I set of for work so I jump started it. She also mentioned the gear-stick was sticky. After work couldn't find anything wrong, battery seemed fine. Lexia didn't tell me anything.
Next day I went to work early and got a call to say 'When I turn the the key it just clicks'. So I tasked my dad to go to ECP and pick up and replace the battery which started the car. That evening I put the old battery on charge and concluded it was flat but OK.
So for the next couple of days I swapped cars with my wife, and swapped the battery in the 807 every morning, until one night I happened to go out and hear a loud fan noise from under the car. The fan in the diesel powered cabin heater was running.
It was about then that she mentioned she had driven through a big flood the day before she started having trouble.
I never did have to fix it, it dried out itself.