It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

User avatar
Napoleon
Posts: 647
Joined: 04 Nov 2008, 19:32

It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by Napoleon » 29 Jun 2013, 23:17

Put your picture of your homemade BBQ.

Here's mine.

Metal table, six or eight bricks, some mesh from the oven (don't tell mrs. N.!), plus a nifty iron grate.

Fill with coals etc and a few Morrisons burgers and lamb skewers.\

:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24015487@N ... 399186492/

(sorry, couldn't make it appear like a photo on this site)

User avatar
Xaccers
Posts: 7654
Joined: 08 Feb 2007, 00:46
x 3

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by Xaccers » 29 Jun 2013, 23:35

You mean this?
Image

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Posts: 7098
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:38
x 4

It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by addo » 30 Jun 2013, 00:40

Isn't there a risk of toxicity from the plating to your upper mesh?

User avatar
Napoleon
Posts: 647
Joined: 04 Nov 2008, 19:32

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by Napoleon » 30 Jun 2013, 01:49

Probably.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by CitroJim » 30 Jun 2013, 06:25

I use an appliance in my kitchen - it's called a cooker and expressly designed for the job...

I am sorry but I absolutely detest barbecues with a passion :evil:

I consider the wretched things antisocial. So many pleasant summer evenings are entirely ruined for me by the awful burning carcass smells they give off. Something I find revolting in the extreme...

User avatar
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 16587
Joined: 02 Mar 2008, 14:30
x 597

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by myglaren » 30 Jun 2013, 06:57

CitroJim wrote:I use an appliance in my kitchen - it's called a cooker and expressly designed for the job...

I am sorry but I absolutely detest barbecues with a passion :evil:

I consider the wretched things antisocial. So many pleasant summer evenings are entirely ruined for me by the awful burning carcass smells they give off. Something I find revolting in the extreme...
Seconded.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
Posts: 9633
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 709

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 30 Jun 2013, 09:01

It depends on the location and the people who do it.

Some time back, I saw neighbours having a heated discussion. It turned out that one of them had hung out the washing early that morning, while later on the other had started a BBQ, and all the smoke, dust, etc. had made everything go black.

Another time, when I was up at my mothers, a lot of the boaters had a gathering (at the Bumble Hole), and there was a bit of a party, with music and a BBQ (the coals were in a big raised container, so the grass wasn't damaged). That was fun (and as the meat had been pre-cooked, nobody had any stomach problems).

User avatar
Napoleon
Posts: 647
Joined: 04 Nov 2008, 19:32

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by Napoleon » 30 Jun 2013, 09:19

Now I know that I should have more BBQs and also install some rather noisy wind chimes. :)

User avatar
Xaccers
Posts: 7654
Joined: 08 Feb 2007, 00:46
x 3

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by Xaccers » 30 Jun 2013, 10:18

The only problem I have with BBQs is the rain they bring and the people who don't know how to use them.
Take my dad for instance, he's one of those people who think there aren't enough flames so best squirt some BBQ fluid on it while it's burning.
Years back he did that just as the wind gusted and ended up singeing all the hair up one arm.
He didn't learn.
Last year they could only get BBQ gel, which is a horrible grey sludge that produces a foul dark grey smoke when squirted onto burning coals.
In order to salvage the BBQ and actually have some properly cooked food I had to take over and send him indoors for an afternoon kip.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Posts: 7098
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:38
x 4

It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by addo » 30 Jun 2013, 11:05

How can people get it wrong more than a handful of times?

Then again, Australian hardwood does make a nice hot fire bed for proper barbecuing.

User avatar
Napoleon
Posts: 647
Joined: 04 Nov 2008, 19:32

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by Napoleon » 30 Jun 2013, 11:10

Now waht's al this about 'toxity', Addo?

This is straight from the house oven - it's meant to be used as a grill. (ie, under the grill, admittedly).

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by CitroJim » 30 Jun 2013, 17:21

Napoleon wrote:Now waht's al this about 'toxity', Addo?

This is straight from the house oven - it's meant to be used as a grill. (ie, under the grill, admittedly).
The difference is Tim, that when it's in the oven it's not subject to direct flame and intense heat as it is in a barbie. A good barbie can burn incredibly hotly and much hotter than any domestic oven - remember that charcoal was used in the olden days for making steel, that's how hot it can get.

I've regularly seen a barbie grill glowing red-hot.

Also, it's likely to be licked by hot naked flames - they can start to decompose the chrome (or other) plating and release toxins as a result...

The only grills you should use on a barbie are plain steels ones, never a plated one.

You have to be a good cook to do well on a barbie and make sure all food is cooked properly. Again, the intense heat makes it quite tricky to do without cremating it...

Food poisoning is about as funny as a road accident...

User avatar
Napoleon
Posts: 647
Joined: 04 Nov 2008, 19:32

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by Napoleon » 30 Jun 2013, 17:31

Well I'm glad I asked!

At least the meat was cooked without burning as I started with the bricks on high, and lowered as the charcoal diminished in heat.

User avatar
Xaccers
Posts: 7654
Joined: 08 Feb 2007, 00:46
x 3

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by Xaccers » 30 Jun 2013, 17:54

CitroJim wrote: The difference is Tim, that when it's in the oven it's not subject to direct flame and intense heat as it is in a barbie. A good barbie can burn incredibly hotly and much hotter than any domestic oven - remember that charcoal was used in the olden days for making steel, that's how hot it can get.

I've regularly seen a barbie grill glowing red-hot.

Also, it's likely to be licked by hot naked flames - they can start to decompose the chrome (or other) plating and release toxins as a result...

The only grills you should use on a barbie are plain steels ones, never a plated one.

You have to be a good cook to do well on a barbie and make sure all food is cooked properly. Again, the intense heat makes it quite tricky to do without cremating it...

Food poisoning is about as funny as a road accident...
As Addo says, why is it so many people get BBQ's wrong? Glowing grill? Food being licked by flames? Shouldn't have any of that. OK the odd flame if any dripping fat goes up but again if there's too much you spray the coals with water to let it die down.

People are impatient, hence the spraying of lit coals with BBQ fluid, or too much charcoal being used, or cooking while there are still flames so the outside of the meat gets burnt but the inside is raw. People that do that should be restricted to gas BBQs!

Use just enough coal, spray it with a bit of fluid if it's not been pre-soaked (most modern stuff just needs a bit of fluid to get it going, the best I've used was coal in a bag, you light the bag and you're away), stand back, enjoy a cool drink and wait for the flames to go and the coal to turn white, then start cooking nice and slow.
Piping hot, properly cooked, unburnt food.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

Re: It's not a French BBQ, but what the heck?!

Post by CitroJim » 30 Jun 2013, 17:58

Xac wrote:gas BBQs!
They are a shocking waste of good LPG :twisted: