Do I need new front bearing/hub?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pcspinheiro
My Cars:

Do I need new front bearing/hub?

Post by pcspinheiro »

Hi everybody!

I have an issue which might relate to bearings or hub... but I need educated guesses from you gurus!

I have a 2002 phase II Xsara estate (2.0i 16v 136 HP) that has, since I bought it a bit over ½ year ago, a growling sound on the driver's front side and this gets worse when braking, as if strain is being put on the bearings. Also, when driving at low speed there is a low but noticeable whoosh.... whoosh... whoosh sound. I now changed to (wider) summer tires and this got worse (at high speed other noises conceal this). I had changed the brake discs and pads and the problem persists and there is also clearly an intermittent rubbing of the pads on the disc when turning the wheel by hand. Since the discs are new, I'm guessing the hub/bearings must have been damaged on a small accident the previous owner had (which nevertheless made a dent on the rim...). I don't have a tool to check for run out of the hub and I would rather shell out the money on a new hub and bearing. If I can avoid both altogether even better!

Given the symptoms where would your guys point to as the culprit ? I drive less than 10 km a day so this has not bothered me a lot. However, I'm planning to drive with the family from Denmark to Portugal and back (if I don't go insane with the children :mrgreen: ) and I need to have the car in tip top condition.

Your opinions are, again, highly valued. The trip is planned for 1 month from now and I would like to tackle things in due time.

Best,

Paulo.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

First things to check are brake related.

Confirm the front caliper pistons may be pushed back without sticking in their bores. Also remove the disc and check that the hub outer face is free of built up corrosion - as should be the inside face of the disc. Inspect your brake flexible hoses.

Any improvised stethoscope should be suitable for listening to the wheel bearings as the wheel rotates off the ground and with brake pads removed. Compare the sides.
pcspinheiro
My Cars:

Re: Do I need new front bearing/hub?

Post by pcspinheiro »

Thanks for the quick reply! The pistons can be pushed back, I did this when putting in the new discs and pads a while back (so the discs are almost brand new, no corrosion there... yet). When spinning the wheel by hand the disc rubs on the pads intermittently and gives an intermittent braking. This is also noticeable on the road, which is the reason I think either the disc or the hub itself is not spinning true. I will try to see if there is any overlooked dirt between the disc and hub (maybe also exchange the discs from side), but I don't think so since I cleaned everything pretty well, I even used a small steel wire brush on the battery-driven screwdriver to yank out all rust and dirt from the hub... Is it possible that the accident somehow bent the hub into spinning out of true without damaging the bearings, making the whole wheel/disk/hub wobble ever so slightly?

Cheers,

Paulo.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, the hub flange may be distorted by impact.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Give the hub/disc interface another clean, the tiniest bit of anything in there will give your symptoms.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
pcspinheiro
My Cars:

Post by pcspinheiro »

Thanks again, will do! However, it's too great a coincidence that the only affected wheel is where the accident took place... plus I have changed all 4 disks now and only that one has the intermittent rubbing on the brake pads. It's anyway worth a double check as it's a better alternative to a new hub... If I read correctly, you can't just unscrew one and put another in; the bearings/wheel hub need to be pressed out and new ones pressed in... and that too is going to cost me dearly here in Denmark ((unless it's the whole thing, as in used from a scrap car, then I guess I could do it).

Best,

Paulo.